Rag Joint Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your pic doesn't have the joint we are talking about.

This joint

You must be registered for see images attach

satxwy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a very interesting idea here....

Is the idea to replace the disc with an aluminum one? Would there be enough movement to it for the joint to work properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jizanthapus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm REALLY curious here.. Say you have the u-joint under your dash before it goes out the firewall. Where that shaft comes out the firewall into your engine bay and connects to your intermediate shaft, it's just bolted, no joint. So when swapping over to the Jeep XJ or Borgeson, can't you just take off the U-Joint that connects to the firewall side and replace is with a straight coupler... ? Borgeson sells STRAIGHT couplers in tons of different sizes, for like $20.. Seems like a viable fix? No aluminum spacer or anything needed.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Is the idea to replace the disc with an aluminum one? Would there be enough movement to it for the joint to work properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
its been working just fine. it eliminates the movement so yes there isnt any vibration eliminating. youll feel it a bit more. havent reaped any negative side effects and theres another 17k on it or so so far

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
I'm REALLY curious here.. Say you have the u-joint under your dash before it goes out the firewall. Where that shaft comes out the firewall into your engine bay and connects to your intermediate shaft, it's just bolted, no joint. So when swapping over to the Jeep XJ or Borgeson, can't you just take off the U-Joint that connects to the firewall side and replace is with a straight coupler... ? Borgeson sells STRAIGHT couplers in tons of different sizes, for like $20.. Seems like a viable fix? No aluminum spacer or anything needed.

try it. we used a staight piece of female end for the 96+ trucks adapted that out to the firewall like a 93 or so truck sticks out and used the xj shaft. if i was friends with the guy id snap some pics but im not. theres cheap routes expensive routes and witty routes.

Jizanthapus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your pic doesn't have the joint we are talking about.

This joint

That's not a normal U-Joint. That's a combination joint. Not the same.

This is from Borgeson.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either way. that joint with the 2 joints on the jeep shaft WILL create problems if there is no supporting factor between the steering box joint and the steering column joint.. That rubber boot in the firewall is not a supporting factor either.

Jizanthapus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is not the boot that supports it, it's the whole joint itself. It doesn't move like a plain U-Joint.