Rag Joint Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

satxwy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, haven't posted in a while but the truck is still running.

Can anyone give me any insight on rag joint replacement for a 98? Most things I see on this topic are just about swapping a shaft from a Cherokee into the truck, but since that only works for the older GMT400s it's not a ton of help to me. Since that's not an option, I figure my only option is to just replace the rag joint, correct? Just a bit of background, I have tons of play in my steering so I figure this is a good place to start. Truck has almost 230,000 miles on it with the original rag joint still in there.

Is it as simple as unbolt the shaft at the gearbox, unbolt the shaft on the cab side of the firewall, fight the shaft like crazy to compress it and remove it, get the rivets out, bolt in the new rag joint, and reinstall the shaft? I just can't find much about doing this on 96+ models where the shafts are a bit different. I figured I might try to get some info while I'm waiting to tackle this. It seems simple enough.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Last time I did one it was pretty much the way you described. But it was on an older vehicle. In the kit there should be nuts and bolts, they replace the rivets.

blazin8556

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
when i did one i was stupid and paid $260 for the shaft. you get the whole thing because its considered a collision part. if im not mistaken i read somewhere on here to use one out of a express van.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Hey guys, haven't posted in a while but the truck is still running.

Can anyone give me any insight on rag joint replacement for a 98? Most things I see on this topic are just about swapping a shaft from a Cherokee into the truck, but since that only works for the older GMT400s it's not a ton of help to me. Since that's not an option, I figure my only option is to just replace the rag joint, correct? Just a bit of background, I have tons of play in my steering so I figure this is a good place to start. Truck has almost 230,000 miles on it with the original rag joint still in there.

Is it as simple as unbolt the shaft at the gearbox, unbolt the shaft on the cab side of the firewall, fight the shaft like crazy to compress it and remove it, get the rivets out, bolt in the new rag joint, and reinstall the shaft? I just can't find much about doing this on 96+ models where the shafts are a bit different. I figured I might try to get some info while I'm waiting to tackle this. It seems simple enough.

Pretty much....:)

Make sure you check all your front end steering components also: inner/out tie rod ends, pitman and idler arm.

Steering box is another, but I recommend replacement if that is going bad. Lots of guys frick with the preload screw, bu that's a bandaid at best and a fricked up steering box at worst.

Keep in mind that the GM parallelogram style steering on these trucks are not exactly "precise" either....:)

Jizanthapus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lose your rag joint. Get a jeep shaft or a Borgeson. Best update you can do. Changes the steering immensely. My Tahoe drove like it was drunk until I got rid of that thing. So much more stable with a universal joint.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Lose your rag joint. Get a jeep shaft or a Borgeson. Best update you can do. Changes the steering immensely. My Tahoe drove like it was drunk until I got rid of that thing. So much more stable with a universal joint.

Doesn't work on a 98, which is what his truck is.

:)

Jizanthapus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why doesn't it work on a '98? Just curious. Mine's a '97, what are the differences?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Why doesn't it work on a '98? Just curious. Mine's a '97, what are the differences?

Double u joints. Jeep shaft makes it three.

Makes the shaft flop around and bind if it goes the wrong way.

I could be wrong, but the 97 should be the same way.

I believe it was Al that had some potentially serious handling problems because of it...

*Edit*

Yup, here it is:

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...(88-96-Trucks)&p=254475&viewfull=1#post254475

There seems to be a bit of conflicting info on 97's though. Seems it may or may not have the double joint. Probably a production date switch over thing....

Last edited: