Rag Joint Dimensions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96CK

Reaction score
Does anyone have a new rag joint handy to get dimensions off of?

I have a friend who's family has a machine shop and I'm wanting to have a piece of aluminum machined to replace the rag joint, I'm just short dimensions.

I need the OD and the thickness, the rest can easily be figured out.

Thanks,

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad idea. The whole point of the rag joint--or the U-joint in some systems--is to allow some flex in the steering column shafts. The alignment from steering wheel to steering gear is not perfect enough to go without some kind of flex joint. ESPECIALLY if there's any flex in the frame, or between the cab and frame on the rubber cab mounts.

You will fatigue and break stuff with an aluminum spacer instead of the rag joint.
Potentially have to deal with the steering binding-up as you turn, as well.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Bad idea. The whole point of the rag joint--or the U-joint in some systems--is to allow some flex in the steering column shafts. The alignment from steering wheel to steering gear is not perfect enough to go without some kind of flex joint. ESPECIALLY if there's any flex in the frame, or between the cab and frame on the rubber cab mounts.

You will fatigue and break stuff with an aluminum spacer instead of the rag joint.
Potentially have to deal with the steering binding-up as you turn, as well.

This is a common-ish upgrade in the F-body world.... at least that's where I think I've read about it. I suspect the negatives you mention wouldn't be as much an issue there as it would be on our trucks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on the year of the F-body, there'd be no subframe with rubber cushions to the body. I don't know about the alignment of the steering column, but the misalignment due to separate body/(sub) frame rubber mounting would be eliminated.

I still say it's a bad idea. Dump the rag joint for a u-joint? Sure. Dump the rag joint for an aluminum spacer? Nope.