Questions about the Fuel Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having to replace the fuel pump/sending unit/gas tank (due to varnish) and I have some questions. The truck is question is a 1991 Chevy silverado C1500 regular cab.

1. Does the fuel pump electrical current measure in Volts or ohms?

2. Gas Gauge doesn't work It shows full all the time. I was told by the previous owner that the gas gauge doesn't work for him either.
Would a cluster swap fix this? Or is it possible to do just a gauge swap?

3. How to tell what the fuel tank capacity is?

4. Will the larger 34 gallon tank from an extended cab pickup fit this truck? I think its (the 91) got the smaller 25 gallon tank.

CodeRed26

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
like Richard said 34 gallon wont fit, fuel gauge problem is probably the sending unit but could be faulty gauge or even wiring seen all be the problem but the sending unit is the biggest culprit

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The previous owner put a new sending unit in there. Same problem.

Moonie gauge shows dead full all the time.

CodeRed26

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
grandfathers truck was same thing ended up being eroded wires shorting together also just so you know sending unit can come fualty when you buy them got one from napa says full all the time ill get around to changing it out someday haha only been like that for over a year gotta change the box here soon so ill do it then