Questions about converting to LEDs up front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdubyah

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ordered my 31 bar grille to put in the 94 GMC shell I ordered a while back. Gonna be painting the shell and installing the grille soon hopefully. My plan is to upgrade the signals and marker lights to LEDs when I do the swap. I'm just wanting to make sure I order everything I need and know what I need to do to get them working. I'm also doing the mod to light the upper markers as well.

So I'm going with these for my signal lights. Type 2 switchbacks: http://www.v-leds.com/5K-TYPE-2-DUAL-COLOR-p7114824-1-2.html

And for the 4 marker lights I'll need, I'm gonna use these: http://www.v-leds.com/5K-WHITE-3-CHIP-5-LED-p9722412-1-2.html

The main thing I'm not sure about is how many resistors I'll need, especially for the markers. I know some people have been able to just use a new relay when running only LED signal lights. The markers are what usually have to have resistors. I have a LED flasher already, so I'm hoping I don't need resistors for those, but I think I'll order them just in case. Which would be 1 set of these: http://www.v-leds.com/Load-Resistors/3-OHM-50W-4-BULB-LOAD-p5679822.html
Or would it be better to use 2 sets of these, or does it matter? http://www.v-leds.com/Load-Resistors/6-OHM-50W-2-BULB-LOAD-p4783296.html

And then I'm not totally sure on which ones to use for the markers. I thought these would be right since they list them for 194 bulbs, but they say not to use them on blinker bulbs: http://www.v-leds.com/Load-Resistors/25-OHM-25W-LOAD-RESISTORS-p4481145.html

Also not sure if I'd need 4 of them in total or if I could get away with just 2 and wire them to botrh 194 bulbs on each side.

Whew, long post, I know, but I wanna be sure I've got it right before I order. Input is appreciated! Thanks.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
danny and deven might have to chime in here...

from my experience with switchbacks was not a pleasant one. The wiring on our trucks if i'm quoting danny correctly isn't necessarily +/-.

i ordered switchbacks from TWO companies and neither set worked properly. either the park lights would burn but no signals, or signals with no park lights. they never "switched back and forth".

but if you get something working on this... lemme know.

(and yes i did the reisistors and flasher)

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
danny and deven might have to chime in here...

from my experience with switchbacks was not a pleasant one. The wiring on our trucks if i'm quoting danny correctly isn't necessarily +/-.

i ordered switchbacks from TWO companies and neither set worked properly. either the park lights would burn but no signals, or signals with no park lights. they never "switched back and forth".

but if you get something working on this... lemme know.

(and yes i did the reisistors and flasher)

The wiring up front is regular 1157, it's the ones out back that are the weird 3157 SRCK bulbs. Maybe you had a bad ground or resistor hooked up wrong?

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
The wiring up front is regular 1157, it's the ones out back that are the weird 3157 SRCK bulbs. Maybe you had a bad ground or resistor hooked up wrong?

excellent point young grasshopper!

seriously though... all i did was swap out the switchbacks for regular LED bulbs and the problem went away. I really don't know where the fault was..but i'd rock the hell out of some switchbacks.. they look so cool haha.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
Switchbacks are awsome not gonna lie....they also seem to be very problematic ...even on the nbs. I think you will be fine the vleds. ditch the resistors and order an ep36 flasher for leds much much easier

bdubyah

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, like I said, I have a LED flasher already, so I was hoping to not need resistors for the turn signals. But I think I'd still need them for the markers, right? I seem to remember Richard on FSC saying that he had to use resistors to get LEDs to work as marker lights.

And I've been thinking over the switchbacks. I love the way they look and all, but I think it would bother me to have them for turns and regular white ones for the markers. I did see some 194 style switchbacks on autolumination, but they don't look to be that great plus I got burned by them before so I refuse to order from them again.

Anyways, any more help or input is greatly appreciated on this. Just want it to be as painless as possible when I do this.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
another thing to watch for (depending on what style you're after...)

some of them are white (in park light mode) and blink amber in turn signal mode... here's what i found.

some run white in park light mode then blink amber in turn signal mode but DO NOT switch back to white while blinking (white/amber/white/amber... but instead white - then amber/amber/amber/amber - then back to white when the signal is canceled. i personally DONT like this style.

be careful when ya order.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
another thing to watch for (depending on what style you're after...)

some of them are white (in park light mode) and blink amber in turn signal mode... here's what i found.

some run white in park light mode then blink amber in turn signal mode but DO NOT switch back to white while blinking (white/amber/white/amber... but instead white - then amber/amber/amber/amber - then back to white when the signal is canceled. i personally DONT like this style.

be careful when ya order.

Newer cars with DRLs do this. Like Chryslers, mercedes, dodges, the DRL on that side shuts off while the turn signal is blinking and comes back on when its done.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
Newer cars with DRLs do this. Like Chryslers, mercedes, dodges, the DRL on that side shuts off while the turn signal is blinking and comes back on when its done.

yup.. because that style is cheaper to manufacture. i'd like to have a set like richards...but i don't wanna drop that kinda cash on a set (unless danny made 'em)

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
I can do you all white 1157x21
Heres a cudtomers and member on here
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my ADR6350 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2