question on 5.7 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i think myself that with a good solid 350 bottom end its an acheavable number and less expensive and complicated than doing a 383. just my opinion. do a little more home work for sure like you are before you get balls deep into somthing you dont want. but i would go 350 vortec like you are add a cam and a marine intake, do some tuning headers, the works. i think it would run

2tone95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ya ive been asking several members on rgv forum that have 5.7 vortec and sum that have done ls swaps on their (obs) to c what it took to do the swap and the price of course

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have you looked into cams at all? i am trying to pick out the right one for my vortec. wondered if you did any hw on that end yet,

2tone95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
um na bro i just knw of a guy from the other forum that is running 12s with n20 with on his 98 silverado i believe he bored out the 5.7 got all his performance parts from jegs i believe thats what he said but idk what cam he used ill ask em tho

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok there are good suggestions on here and some good info too. You can get decent power out of the vortec 5.7, but how much are you looking for? you said low 14s high 13s, but things you need to consider are, its not going to just be an engine upgrade to get u there, especially on a DD! BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
So post up a budget and we can go from there.
From Personal experience:
motor + rebuild = approx. 2200-2500
misc. supplies = 300
new exhaust cuz the old wont cut it = 400
headers = 200-500 depending on if you want to replace them every year or two
tuning = 400 not sure if you will need to upgrade ecms or not you probly will need to upgrade to get the engine tuned properly.
ecm = 100 or so including hardware
This is just to get it running. After it is in and running good for about 1500-3K miles you will probly blow ur transmission b/c they arn't built to handle 300+ hp
Transmission rebuilt = 1500

I am not trying to scare you, but I am trying to let you know that it is not just an engine swap to get into the 14s or less, especially with a DD. My suggestion, ONLY B/C ITS YOUR DD, would be to find a junk yard 5.3L or 6.0L w/ 4l80e transmission (probly find on craigslist for $1K-1500) swap your truck over to the LS style and Daily Drive that while saving for performance parts to upgrade. You will also need the electric fans and other misc. stuff so plan on spending between 2K and 3K on the whole swap. I wish i would've done this the first time b/c the 5.7 vortecs do peak the hp numbers at or around 350hp b/c the stock intake just can't handle much more. The only way to punch more power out of them is to change the intake manifold, (which is a whole other thread in itself), alot of guys on pacificp.com have gone to the marine manifold, but finding one is hard and it will cost you around $1000 by the time its ready to install, which is pretty pricey. Do research before making any purchases or decisions to save money. If you need any other info check out this website, http://www.pacificp.com/forum/index.php it is THE place to go for upgrading these trucks.
Sorry for the long response....

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i agree. im working on building a stroker myself with the vortec style or vortec heads and marine intake, i have done alot of reading and its not a cheap weekend swap lol. what im doing is building it completly out of the truck with the new intake and everything and would like to have it complete so all i have to do is pull the old one out and put the new one in. as far as internal parts im looking on buying at summit, im sure you know what the stroker involves right? 400 crank bored over .030 clearenced block new pistons ect ect. i would go with all eagle roatating assy and forged crank. make sure you really study it up before you decide the 383 is what you really want.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hmmm apparently there are some hidden stories. i thought eagle was one of the best out there? is that just the cast cranks? it looked like mostly forged, regardless thanks for posting that man. so far i havnt had problems with eagle which is why i suggested it ,but fter seeing that im going to research some more on that topic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock-530