question for RIM CARE...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
ok well newbie to nice chrome rims.... and wondering what you guys use and like best on your chrome rims to shine them up and what lasts the longest.
these rims do have afew curb marks and not sure if i should just leave them alone or if i might be able to clean the marks up alittle with a small file or something.

ive shined pleanty of chrome sport rims up but never fancy chrome rims. they already have road salt damage mostly on the inside at least so im not sure if i want to try and peel that flaking chrome off or leave it where its at and just clean/polish and then tape it off and clear coat the backside to try and extend the life alittle more. or if i should just tape it off and paint it silver to hopefully blend in well.
i really like these rims other than afew marks on them.

You must be registered for see images attach

sorry pictures below suck my phone just died. those are the two worst curb marks. there is some very minor other curb kisses but they so small they arent to bad. but these two curbs are pretty visible.
the chrome also has quite a bit of scratches id like to try and get out as well.

id just like to clean these rims up as nice as i can! they look good already but i know they can look even better with alittle work. ive just never worked this kinda chrome wheel. factory chrome is pretty strong chrome and doesnt scratch very easy. ive just used normal rubbing compound and a rag and water to shine them up just fine.
my first set of rims ive ever had was on my old civic 17s i think but i bought them brand new and kept very good care of them so i just wiped em down and they where also painted so they kept up dam good!
ive heard people say the little ball buffer tool works real good so i think ill have to buy one of those as well as what ever stuff i need to polish these back up to mirror finish.

any help is apriciated. let me know what works and whats garbage...
my truck is my daily driver and i probably will rock these rims thru the winter alittle here and there, just depends how decent they do in the snow if we get any more this winter ;) i just got these rims last week and they are well used from previous owner or owners and who knows how neglected they have been.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to have a set of chrome 99-00 Esky/Nali rims used Mothers chrome rim cleaner then they got a chrome rim polish made them look brand new tried a few different kinds but that worked the best for me

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

jmig

Can't leave it stock
Reaction score
This stuff works very well and it even removes oxidation and rust!

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to have a set of chrome 99-00 Esky/Nali rims used Mothers chrome rim cleaner then they got a chrome rim polish made them look brand new tried a few different kinds but that worked the best for me

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I too used the mothers on my OBS Escalade wheels....took all the oxidation off and made them look damn close to new.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I would use a Mothers Ball on a drill, it takes some work to get the rust off sometimes. I like Mother's metal and chrome polishes and then to keep your wheels protected after just give them a little waxing. If they were powder coated or cleared over I would use some silicone spray to help repel brake dust and road crap.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
prior to using polishes, i like to use a clay bar (i have one to use only on wheels) to make sure the wheels are clean before polishing to make sure i don't swirl the finish with debris left behind that wasn't removed with prior washing/rinsing.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
o ok. hell i have never had a clay bar yet. ive thought about it but my truck has so many scratches on it ive just never bought one to try.

and on a side note :( yesterday i bent two of my rims :( not to bad.... still hold air but that MASSIVE POTHOLE HAD THE LAST LAUGH FOR SURE! car infront of me on interstate slammed and and going 65-70mph with heavy traffic i had no time to react other than hold on and cringe :( sucks pretty dam bad! one big reason why i wanna get rid of these smaller tires and go larger rubber!
my one is 245-40-20 and the rear mismatch tire is tiny 245-35-20. just ordered another matching 245-50-20 Pirelli Scorpion STR. next will be check out tire shop and see what kinda 245-45-20s they can get me that i like the looks of alright.
well alittle carnage pics... but like i said its not horible... so these enkei rims must be very strong cause i swear that was a monster pot hole i slammed super hard!!!!!!
i dont think it bent the inside lip. just the exterior lip I THINK.... i have yet to jack the truck up and fully inspect total damage. but they still hold air and driving alright. maybe alittle off ballance or that might just be the rims already off balance. i dare not get them balanced before getting new tires that i want... so time will tell.

worst front 45series

video

rear baby 35series

emailed rim shop in indianapolis with pictures to see how much they might charge me to fit them. they arent bad but just knowing they are bent is gonna bug the hell outta me till i get them fixed!!!!!!