Question about the 87-95 blocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have read many things and I am kinda confused as to what is correct and I really don't wanna pull my intake just to check and no other reason. sooooo.....

Are the 87-95 truck blocks drilled and tapped for the spider hold down for roller lifters? or will I need to use retro fit lifters? I have no plans to pull the intake anytime soon but am gathering parts for the spring.

Any solid information (ie not hearsay) is greatly appreciated.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have seem underneath probably 30 87-95 intakes and from my experience some are drilled and tapped and some are not, but they are all machined and clearanced for roller lifter's and the spider lifter hold down, and they all have the boss's for the bolt's so at the most you might have to drill and tap the 3 boss's for the hold down bolt's. There would be no reason to buy conversion lifter's and they are damn expensive, I would just find a blown vortec 350 and grab the hold down and 3 bolt's out of one of those.

1990GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the last 5 ive seen arent
but like DRAGGIN(% said some are some arent,,just haave to check to be sure
may be able to run the numbers on ur block to find out

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dunno why I mentioned the retro lifters because I had no intention of buying them at 450 a set. I might even have the stock parts I need somewhere from an old motor I don't remember. I just didn't want to buy a cam only to find I couldn't use it. I will try running the numbers and seeing if I can find anything.

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finding a roller block to steal from is easy. Don't discount the cars either as pretty much any 87 up Camaro or Caprice with a 305 or 350 will be roller unless previously swapped. That and of course the Vortec small blocks. For just the lifters themselves the LS engines use the same ones as the Gen 1/Gen 2 small blocks, but lifters only. The parts you need otherwise can come from any factory roller small block like the tie bars, spider and cam retainer plate.

Don't assume your block is even provisioned for roller at all though. Not all 1 piece rear main blocks have the bosses in the lifter valley to attach the spider too. I couldn't convert my 92's oiginal 350 to roller as the block simply was not provisioned at all for it. Then there are the ones with undrilled bosses and of course those that are ready and drilled.

Use this as a quick reference:

The casting numbers here are for production blocks manufactured from 1986 to the end of GenI/GenII production.

For 350 flat tappet blocks look for casting number 10054727, 14079287, 14088548, and 14101148.

Roller blocks are more complicated because even though the casting number indicates the block is provisioned for a roller cam, it doesn't for sure mean the block has a roller cam. But if so provisioned, a factory roller cam can be installed to one of these even if it currently has a flat tappet cam. For 350 roller tappet blocks look for casting numbers 10243880,14011148, 14088526, and 14093638 these can be a 2 or 4 bolt block. The 880 is the Vortec block it appears in mid 1995 production with swirl port heads and TBI and may have a flat tappet cam but is fully provisioned for a roller in all instances. It appears again in some 1996, 49 state vehicles with Vortec heads and TBI.

A problem you could encounter when hunting the wrecking yards and rebuilders is that there is a flat tappet block and a roller that both end with the numbers 148. 14101148 is a flat tappet truck block, 14011148 is a roller provisioned block.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finding a roller block to steal from is easy. Don't discount the cars either as pretty much any 87 up Camaro or Caprice with a 305 or 350 will be roller unless previously swapped. That and of course the Vortec small blocks. For just the lifters themselves the LS engines use the same ones as the Gen 1/Gen 2 small blocks, but lifters only. The parts you need otherwise can come from any factory roller small block like the tie bars, spider and cam retainer plate.

Don't assume your block is even provisioned for roller at all though. Not all 1 piece rear main blocks have the bosses in the lifter valley to attach the spider too. I couldn't convert my 92's oiginal 350 to roller as the block simply was not provisioned at all for it. Then there are the ones with undrilled bosses and of course those that are ready and drilled.

Use this as a quick reference:

Is this reference considered pretty legit? I should be in the shop working on the truck tomorrow. I will check the block number and go from there. I have everything I need to swap intakes and some other lil stuff and I want to swap the cam while I am at it this spring. Gotta get the ducks lined up.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the one in my 88 is setup for either roller or flat tappet, that's what the casting number said and I did see the spots for the spider hold down but not sure if they were tapped or not. They seemed to be drilled though.

A few pics of mine..

You must be registered for see images attach

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I have had FOUR 88-95 Blocks, and everyone was different.

1988 350 TBI, NO BOSSES FOR ROLLER STUFF AND NOT MACHINED FOR A FUEL PUMP! (2-Bolt)
1995 350 TBI, Bosses (Not drilled/tapped) for Roller stuff but not machined for fuel pump (2-Bolt)
1994 350 TBI, Bosses (Not drilled/tapped) for Roller stuff but not machined for fuel pump (2-Bolt)
1988 350 TBI (My current Block), Fully machined for Roller AND for mechnaical fuel pump (4-bolt) (Out of 1990 3/4ton OOBS Suburban)