Question about the 87-95 blocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I have seem underneath probably 30 87-95 intakes and from my experience some are drilled and tapped and some are not, but they are all machined and clearanced for roller lifter's and the spider lifter hold down, and they all have the boss's for the bolt's so at the most you might have to drill and tap the 3 boss's for the hold down bolt's. There would be no reason to buy conversion lifter's and they are damn expensive, I would just find a blown vortec 350 and grab the hold down and 3 bolt's out of one of those.

not all TBI blocks have the bosses, my 1988 Parts block had no bosses at all, like a old school block.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting, I haven't run on one yet that didn't but I probably will, the last motor swap I did was a 350 TBI out of a 87 Burb, and it was already drilled and tapped, and the guy who's truck we put it in is wanting to do a cam swap, so he'll prob. go ahead and go roller.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
if you put a small camara down your distributer hole....you would know

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey where in mass are ya located? I have a yard i deal with near me they have quite a few of the vortec motors that are in trucks that came in from the cash for clunkers program.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
i actually upgraded my block from flat tappet to roller with a comp cam, spider and lifters from summit for around 525

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
where'd you find that deal the spider costs more then that from them, let alone the lifter hold down and lifters. I don't think you can buy a set of flat tappet lifters for $25

btw awesome truck in your avatar, is it yours? got more pics? love the way it looks.

I tried to narrow mine down to year by the suffix and could not find it, my best guess is it's a 95 since almost all the sites I went to have none or barely any 95 suffix codes. Mine was a VE2, and I couldn't find it anywhere online.

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this reference considered pretty legit? I should be in the shop working on the truck tomorrow. I will check the block number and go from there. I have everything I need to swap intakes and some other lil stuff and I want to swap the cam while I am at it this spring. Gotta get the ducks lined up.

Yeah it seems legit. Every block I have come across falls either way in line with what was written there. I can't even remember where I got that quote from anymore...... but the guy had done his homework with GM to get that. I have a 638 block I built up that was roller ready and from the code it came from a TPI Camaro. Just a 2 bolt roller with a fuel pump pushrod. I don't know about my 94 as it's going in a scrap bin so I have never looked at the casting number on it. The 90 I had was the 148 that was roller ready, that was not the trucks original engine either, much like the 91 where the 638 was from. Both my Vortec's are 880's of course. The 350 in my 92 was the flat tappet listed 148 block. The rest are just multiple junk yard motors I looked at over the years.

Last edited:

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks. The number is on the side of the block right. I tried to look for it when I had it on the lift but it was covered in grime plus all the other **** that was in the way. When I install headers I will recheck the number.

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok thanks. The number is on the side of the block right. I tried to look for it when I had it on the lift but it was covered in grime plus all the other **** that was in the way. When I install headers I will recheck the number.

Look down the back of the block where the distributor is. It will be cast on the bellhousing on the drivers side of the engine.