Question about the 87-95 blocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can understand that part and to be honest I didn't know any of the 87 and newer blocks weren't set up for roller at all. I thought they all could use roller or could be made to roller by drill or tap, I know for sure mines setup for either and had flat tappet so I know what you mean by them being setup for either but what they have is a toos up and that was my point.

I was not aware that any of them after 87 were only setup for flat tappet only.

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can understand that part and to be honest I didn't know any of the 87 and newer blocks weren't set up for roller at all. I thought they all could use roller or could be made to roller by drill or tap, I know for sure mines setup for either and had flat tappet so I know what you mean by them being setup for either but what they have is a toos up and that was my point.

I was not aware that any of them after 87 were only setup for flat tappet only.

I didn't know that years ago either but my 92's original engine was one of the flat tappet only blocks. Other than the fact it had a 1 piece rear seal it was not much different than a 2 piece block with regards to roller compatibility.

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
BUT not all roller blocks are 100% ready for roller, they still may need to be drilled/tapped.

But that still is roller ready. The fact you have to drill and tap, or even just tap some holes is splitting hairs. You can still add a factory style roller camshaft, thus it's a roller block.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that's pretty cool and good info, I had no clue. I just always thought the 86 and so 1 piece rms blocks were flat tappet only and then the newer 87 and up or so were roller or flat tappet. I know for the most part 87 and up is tbi anyways or tpi and such whether it's camaro, other car or truck so I guess that's why I figured they must be. Then again I can't find my suffix code, and suspect mines a 95 or so block. It may be much more common to see pre 95's with flat tappet only.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
that's pretty cool and good info, I had no clue. I just always thought the 86 and so 1 piece rms blocks were flat tappet only and then the newer 87 and up or so were roller or flat tappet. I know for the most part 87 and up is tbi anyways or tpi and such whether it's camaro, other car or truck so I guess that's why I figured they must be. Then again I can't find my suffix code, and suspect mines a 95 or so block. It may be much more common to see pre 95's with flat tappet only.

my falt tappet only was a 1988 Block, and my current block thats 4-bolt main, roller ready AND fuel pump ready was also a 1988 block, its just hit and miss.

i had a 1995 350, and i believe it was a 638 block, was a roller block, but not drill/tapped.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea mines a 638 or 3638 whichever you want to call it. I need to see if mines setup for mech. pump. That way if anything happens I can run carb fairly easy and cheaper, without having to buy a pressure reg. and stuff, just go thru the stocker or remove it, and unhooked all the computer stuff, or keep the motor for something else.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
yea mines a 638 or 3638 whichever you want to call it. I need to see if mines setup for mech. pump. That way if anything happens I can run carb fairly easy and cheaper, without having to buy a pressure reg. and stuff, just go thru the stocker or remove it, and unhooked all the computer stuff, or keep the motor for something else.

Does it have a block off plate?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. I got the gasket, came in my rebuild kit I just never removed it.