putting a clutch in my 92 one ton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i started pulling the drivelines down to put a clutch in this old beater and got to looking..Ive never done a clutch on a fullsize with IFS. From what i can tell i can drop the torsion bars and brackets along with the xmember(s) or split the transfer and trans to get it all down. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Everyone i ask around here doesnt know...probably cuz no one knows how to drive a manual anymore much less work on em..thanks ahead of time

posted this over at gmfs but after reading like 2 threads over here i've come to the conclusion theres less A$$hats over here...not to mention this is more geared towards my year truck lol

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah that would make it wrangle as far as size. I have a new st of keys otw so il be pulling those down anyway. Is it just a gasket between the trans and transfer? It looks like it's been pulled before. You can see where the silicone squeezed ot when they mated the two back up.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok doin new keys so the t bars gotta come out anyways,do you have the tool for taking the tension off the keys?

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
luckily i can borrow our big ass jaw pullers from the shop at work. I saw a vid on youtube where a guy used some to take em out. But nah i dont have the actual torsion bar/key tool

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the tip on splitting the transfer. Got that done today. I'm kinda taking my time since this isnt my DD. Rest of the work is on hold till i get help. Almost broke my hand pulling that big ass borg warner transfer out lol.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so ive run into a bit of a snag..
got the transfer out. split the bellhousing and the actual trans. but i cant get it to slide back far enough to drop out. So we figured well lets unbolt the bellhousing maybe thatll give us some slack...nope. So now my trans is hanging from what i believe is the pilot shaft and the shifter. i d/c the actual shifter so its just the lil stub that it screws down onto. This is what i get for trying to do a transmission from memory lol. Last one i did was on a 93 sonoma back in '99.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
the shifter on top should unbolt from the tranny and expose the gears IIRC. try that to gain the little bit you need.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i think so. Was just nervous about pulling it off lol. Are these manual trans. pretty tough? havent heard much about em. i think we're just gonna trim the floor out to make it easier though...eventually this truck is gonna be a straight mud truck so i can see another clutch down the road.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was planning on running just a regular replacement but as an afterthought thought maybe an upgrade would be better. Anyone have reccomendations?
I spotted the Hays clutch. Whats the main diff with it stronger pressure plate?