Project Yukon HD (1996 Yukon c1500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
What bulb did you use for the mirror switch? That's the only switch in my interior that isn't green. 2 neo-3's?

Yeah, I took the LEDs with the resistor and diode off the NEO base and cut the leads down to fit into the pins sticking out of the circuit board.

I will say be careful taking the switch apart. I ended up breaking the upper OE piece when trying to pull the knob off that switches it right and left. Because the OE piece you have to take the upper piece apart to get the stock bulbs out (they get stuck under the button face and make the switch basically unusable without getting them out). I got a Dorman part from AutoZone, took that one apart and just used the upper piece because the lights stay on the circuit board on the Dorman piece but I used the OE lower piece and circuit board. So I basically still have the OEM switch, just with a new button face.

That might be kinda confusing. Basicly I used the OE base/circuit board piece and just took the upper part with the actual button face and left/right switch from the Dorman unit. That's the easy way I see doing it because the OE upper piece you'd have to drill out above the pins so the LEDs would fit through. The OE unit only has small holes for each legs of the bulb to fit through but with the LED and resistors it would be too tall to be in the upper half without the holes. The Dorman upper piece actually already has the holes which makes it easy.

I'll try to get some more pictures in the next couple days and actually show what I had to do and also show you what I mean by which pieces I used of what and also compare the two. It will make a lot more sense with pictures. You can use the whole OE switch, and that's what I would've done if I didn't break it, but the Dorman upper piece just makes it that much easier to piece together. (but it's also about $30) Once you see the pictures you can actualy mod the OE piece to work fine, just as long as you can get the upper piece apart without breaking it.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
What bulb did you use for the mirror switch? That's the only switch in my interior that isn't green. 2 neo-3's?
Yeah, I took the LEDs with the resistor and diode off the NEO base and cut the leads down to fit into the pins sticking out of the circuit board.

I used the 12v pre-resistored 3mm LEDs, just cut the legs to the right size and stuck them in.

--------------------------

I really like the flares and lights in them, that's a cool idea. Years ago my friend had a GMT800 3/4ton truck and he was looking for a set of suburban quadrasteer flares to put on.

I know others have commented on the lighting, I really like the work you do and having an accent color is awesome. You are lucky your area doesn't pick on you for it, and for your sake I hope they do not. If you were in WA you would have been pulled over a long time ago! :lol:

Keep up the good work.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I used the 12v pre-resistored 3mm LEDs, just cut the legs to the right size and stuck them in
Guess I'll be making another order to that company I got my radio bulbs from lol. Thanks

Yolo1

Reaction score
This is the most complete write up from top to bottom I've read....excellent, excellent!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
I used the 12v pre-resistored 3mm LEDs, just cut the legs to the right size and stuck them in.

--------------------------

I really like the flares and lights in them, that's a cool idea. Years ago my friend had a GMT800 3/4ton truck and he was looking for a set of suburban quadrasteer flares to put on.

I know others have commented on the lighting, I really like the work you do and having an accent color is awesome. You are lucky your area doesn't pick on you for it, and for your sake I hope they do not. If you were in WA you would have been pulled over a long time ago! :lol:

Keep up the good work.

Yep, that's also another way that you could do it, and it would be easier to fit in the OEM switch. I just prefer the SMD LEDs over the round style, but that's just my personal preference.

Thanks! I think that would actually look pretty cool, don't think I've ever seen that done.

Thanks! Yeah, I guess it is pretty forchanet it's not a something the cops really look for around here. I've even been over to Arkansas and down to Mississippi a couple times and didn't have any problems. Get some funny looks sometimes but nothing has happened. I do get thumbs up and waves from people sometimes, which makes all the time put into it worth it.

This is the most complete write up from top to bottom I've read....excellent, excellent!!

Thanks!

Yolo1

Reaction score
No... thank you! Time to get my 97 2 door together lol love the green btw!!

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
You deserve props for the meticulous work done to make not only this rig but each part your own.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I will say be careful taking the switch apart. I ended up breaking the upper OE piece when trying to pull the knob off that switches it right and left. Because the OE piece you have to take the upper piece apart to get the stock bulbs out (they get stuck under the button face and make the switch basically unusable without getting them out). I got a Dorman part from AutoZone, took that one apart and just used the upper piece because the lights stay on the circuit board on the Dorman piece but I used the OE lower piece and circuit board. So I basically still have the OEM switch, just with a new button face.

That might be kinda confusing. Basicly I used the OE base/circuit board piece and just took the upper part with the actual button face and left/right switch from the Dorman unit. That's the easy way I see doing it because the OE upper piece you'd have to drill out above the pins so the LEDs would fit through. The OE unit only has small holes for each legs of the bulb to fit through but with the LED and resistors it would be too tall to be in the upper half without the holes. The Dorman upper piece actually already has the holes which makes it easy.

I'll try to get some more pictures in the next couple days and actually show what I had to do and also show you what I mean by which pieces I used of what and also compare the two. It will make a lot more sense with pictures. You can use the whole OE switch, and that's what I would've done if I didn't break it, but the Dorman upper piece just makes it that much easier to piece together. (but it's also about $30) Once you see the pictures you can actualy mod the OE piece to work fine, just as long as you can get the upper piece apart without breaking it.
I give you a LOT of credit for making the truck your own with all the mods you've done. All the wiring you've done is amazing. When I'm doing electrical projects I dread it for days before I get started. Great looking truck and thanks for sharing.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
You deserve props for the meticulous work done to make not only this rig but each part your own.

I give you a LOT of credit for making the truck your own with all the mods you've done. All the wiring you've done is amazing. When I'm doing electrical projects I dread it for days before I get started. Great looking truck and thanks for sharing.

Thank y'all!

Well, I have a little update. I finally got a bigger drop hitch. 5 1/4" drop vs my old 2 3/4". Now the trailers I pull won't be cali leaning anymore. This is also just temporary until I get a heavier duty drop hitch that will be a tri-ball drop hitch.
You must be registered for see images attach

I also picked up a Escalade gauge cluster. White needles and 120 mph speedo. Will be swapping my odometer in from my current cluster and also the lense from mine. I might also, eventually, change the orange/red shift indicator LEDs to green LEDs. All they are, are 5mm LEDs soldered to the inside circuit board.

'Til next time!

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Got the Escalade gauge installed.

Started by disassembling the gauges so I could swap my odometer over but also look over and see if I could see if the trip was messed up.

While I was at it I also changed the orange gear select indicator LEDs to some 5mm green ones I had laying around. This is also the speedometer board.

Old LEDs desoldered.

New LEDs soldered.

A little ribbon cable fix I did, don't think I had to do it, but the cable was pinched right there and had some exposed copper.

Testing to see if the LEDs worked.

Video of the LEDs at work. (Again, can't enable it. So if you want to see it just click on it and it'll take you to my Flickr to watch it. It's only 12 seconds.)

Swapping the odometer over.

Installed. (need to try and pollsh the other lense I have to try to get a nice clean lense.)