Project Yukon HD (1996 Yukon c1500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
The snow and ice we got this year.
You must be registered for see images attach

Next I got the K2XX tow mirrors. But, instead of getting the ones that fit the GMT400, I did like 88GMCtruck and got the 99-02 tow mirrors with heat so I didn't lose my heated function and just swapped bases with the mirrors I already had.

The 99-02 GMT800 connector.

Disassembling the mirror.

Then I took apart the clearance light apart since I was adding some Klearz lenses.

Took the bases off.

Then I took the arms off.

Then I separated the glass turn arrow from the clearance light and ran a new wire for the turn power and added a quick disconnect for the clearance light.

That's it for now, I've got to get up at 5 for work.

'Til next time!

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Here's the clear lenses for Klearz.com. You can either get them in clear, 5% smoke, full smoke, or any color you want and can even include pearl or OEM colors. Also went ahead and got them to throw in there epoxy while I was at it.

Mocking up the LED strips I used.

Epoxying the lenses on. You can also see some of the wiring. I got the outside LED strips as the running light that are wired like I had the GMT800 light. Meaning it's dim as running lights and bright as turn signals. The inside LEDs are turn only and are wired with the glass arrow turn.

Clearance light connected.

And see I clearanced the mirror some to fit the wires through.

Mirror put together.

Some of the clearance I had to do to fit the lense, I only had to do this on the driver side. I lined up the passenger side more and didn't have to really clarence that side.

Testing the connections to see where I needed to repin. I also combined the grounds on the vehicle side and my mirrors work almost perfectly. Only thing wrong is left is right and vice versa.

Driver side.

Passenger side.

Tieing the "reverse lights" into the convenience center. It's the green wire that goes on the rearview mirror plug.

Installed.

Here's a video I did on the mirrors and also how I have them wired up. (Warning: Kinda shaky. First time talking in a video also so expect stumbling over some words)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I also got a 6 lug 2000 Denali rear axle with a G80 and 3.73s (upgrade from my 3.42s) from Pull-A-Part as part of my "HD" upgrade so to speak. Plus I got the added bonus of the 11" drums from my stock 10". This is just a placeholder axle until I can get a 99+ axle with disc brakes or I might get a FF 14 bolt and convert it to 6 lug... I'm not sure yet..

Replaced brake shoes, springs, adjusters, wheel cylinders, wheel seals, drums, and both e-brake cables.
Also replaced 2 wheel studs.

I also got some 1996 GMC 2500LD front rotors to finish the 6 lug conversion along with new brakes.

Then taxes came back so I ordered my wheels and tires.

Tires are 285/60r20 Kanati Trail Hog

Then got my 20X10 Anthem A731 Commander wheels in and got them mounted and balanced. I also ordered the green inserts for the wheels I still need to put on.

That's probably all for today. Got some other stuff to do.

'Til next time!!

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Looking badass man. Love the green accents

Thanks!

Then I installed the 2500LD rotors with new pads, bearings, and seals. Didn't get any pictures of that. Then I drive down the street to my buddies house and used their shop and we put in the rear axle.

The wheels installed.

At the car meet that happens on Saturday nights. Plus I demoulded it in preparation for installing fender flares. It did damage the paint in some places, but not much, but the whole passenger side is messed up anyway from the damage and repaint I previously stated, I got some paint to repair the lower color I might put on and also paint the flares to match. But, eventually, I'm repainting the whole truck.

You might also see the side exit exhaust before the rear tire. I got some flowmaster 40s from Pull-A-Part for $30 so I cut the dual in/dual out Flowmaster 50 off and made it true duals then put the 40s on and made it turn out the side with the tips that used to be on it when I got it.

Then I got my Anthem decals in, slight oversight on packing and it didn't arrive with the wheels, the vinyl strips for the wheels did, but not on the window decals. But Anthem has great customer service and sent them right out.

Then I got my Bushwacker OE Fender Flares in, and I got them for a sweet deal. If you want to get OE type flares for a truck or suburban you have no problem and can get sets for around $100 that have all 4. Not for the 4 door Tahoe's and Yukon's, you will spend over $400 for a set just because the rear door. Well I was looking through eBay right before I ordered my rims and tires and was just making sure the Bushwackers were still around $430, well I lucked out. Some place was liquidating a shutdown auto accessory place and they were selling these for $325. The crazy thing is these flares are dated March 25, 2003. So they have been sitting in that store for over 10 years. I didn't care, it's just plastic, I was getting them for $100 off everyone else, so I ordered them. Nothing was wrong with them, no warping, and they fit great. Only thing that was a little off was the 3M adhesive for the edge trim, still worked though.

You can kinda see the date in on the upper right label and also the inspected stamp below that with a date of March 26, 2003.

The flares and packing.

Took the OE chrome lips off.

Installed the front Flares.

Then when I installed the rear flares I added some 3/4" Maxxima bullet lights. Red for the rear and Green for the front. Makes it look like the Quadrasteer Suburban's and Yukon's had, I've always loved the Quadrasteer vehicles.

Running some wires through the rear doors.

Installed.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
More pictures of the Flares.

The clips used to hold the rear door flares on, there is also some 3M tape on the outside near the edge of the door by the clips. You can also see the wires for the LED coming out of the bottom of the door through a hole I made with a grommet. I will say the clips are a pain to get on, but they need to be there to help suck in and attach the flare.

I also built a set of headlight for my buddies 95 Z71 for his birthday. Same eBay projector lights I have, just used the RGB halos that I will be putting in mine at a later date. I have them, just need to get them installed. I also didn't change the 3 5mm LEDs, I keep them white.

Then I did the air intake muffler delete, don't think it did much, if anything, but it dose get the box out of the engine bay.

2" PVC cap.

Got some LED tail lights and a new 3rd brake light. I might try to retrofit LED cubes for the reverse lights but I don't know yet. I'm thinking the cubes will throw more light behind than back and out the side like the cree LED bulb I was going to put in there, if it fits, the cree LED bulb is pretty long.

The resistor pack.

Then I did a walk around for all my exterior lights. (I think it turned out better then my other video)

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
I love the lights in the flares.

Thanks! I've always had that idea in my head since I got the thing. I wanted OE flares with lights in them. I've always loved dually's with the cab lights, ID bars in the back, and the fender lights... Then the Quadrasteer trucks and SUVs came out and I always liked how they were similar with cab lights, ID bars, and fender lights. So I guess that's why I've always wanted to do something like that. Plus, it makes it look more HD with them, I think anyway.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Then I got the rest of the LED's for the dash lights, switches, and door switches. Got some T1.5 bulbs for the HVAC and some NEO4 and NEO3 for the various switches.

First I did the hatch pop switch, had to be soldered on. Took some of the NEO3 LEDs out of the socket they come in and used those.'

Here's the HVAC, A/C switch, and recirculate switch. T1.5 LEDs

Rear wiper switch I did the same as the hatch pop.

All the dash done.

Passenger door switches. NEO4

Rear door switches. NEO3

Headlight switch. NEO4

Driver door master window switch, NEO4, and door lock. NEO3

Power mirror switch I did the same thing as hatch pop and rear wiper switch except the bulbs were just pushed into pins and not soldered so I just pressed the LEDs in.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Window lock switch. NEO3 The SMD style LEDs aren't the best for this, it might be good to get the round style leds for this to put light out the side so the switch actually lights up.

Here's a video I did on all the interior LEDs.

Here's more pictures of the LED light bar I got from Lightwerkz off-road (@prezywerkz on Instagram).

And this is actually the last pictures I have, I've all caught up with present time. Didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would.

These are some parts for the tire carrier.

T-handle pop pin. It's going to be near the hinge as a safety catch and to also hold the swing out at locked positions.

This is the hinge kit I got. It's massive and have absolutely no worries of putting whatever I want on the carrier. Just for reference that's a 1" machined bolt, a 2-1/4" DOM tube, and the bracket is 1/4" thick. I garentee it weighs every bit of 8 pounds.

Like I said, I'm all caught up now. I have no clue what will be next, I guess we'll see. I have to mount the light bar (would like to get it done this week but I work every day this week so I don't know, between that and school), I have to get a new, proper, condenser to finally get my A/C running right (will explain more when I replace it), get more parts for the tire carrier... etc. And I don't know what will be next.

As far as some of the future plans/ideas, besides finish building the rear bumper/tire carrier, are:

Black Bear tune
Long tube headers with magnaflows
Volant cold air intake
Miscellaneous engine/performance mods
Building a front winch bumper with stinger
Building a roof rack
Leveling the rear with the front (longer driveshaft)
Building the new set of headlights with the RGB halos
Synergy Green Metallic paint WA708S (way future)
Possibly a SAS but keeping 6 lug (Ford D44 with Chevy outers)
Possibly a procharger/turbo or LS swap or 12 valve Cummins swap (The Cummins is my most wanted swap because Tow Rig but I don't know, all these are $$$$) (way, way, wayyyy future)

More that I can't think of at the moment. Got to remember I still have a Jeep I want to work on and modify.... That I haven't touched as far as mods in over a year.

'Til next time!

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
What bulb did you use for the mirror switch? That's the only switch in my interior that isn't green. 2 neo-3's?