Project Yukon HD (1996 Yukon c1500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
id be interested in the brackets

I'll keep that in mind, but like I said. I'm missing the front frame brackets. All I have is the rear brackets and shackles, plus I still might be able to use them.

Well, I took the diff cover off today before work and found out what was inside. It wasn't 4.10 gears, but was some freshly installed (looks like no mileage at all) Yukon Gear 5.13's. If this was going in an offroad rig I'd be ecstatic, but 5.13 for a DD is not going to work. So looks like I'll be taking and rebuilding the diff inside and out with 4.11's and probably a E-Locker. Planned on rebuilding it anyway, I'll either sell the gears or keep them and install them at a later date in the Trail Jeep whenI get a D44 for that.

Here's the Pictures I took of the inside. Not too bad, just surface rust, easy to clean up.
You must be registered for see images attach

Yukon Gear part number D44R-513R

Here's a couple videos I took also.

Yesterday's video.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Today's video of opening it up and talking about some of the planes for the axle.

Plans for the axle:
  • Rebuilding the wheel bearings
  • Installing 4.11 gears and probably an E-Locker
  • Installing the passenger leaf spring mount (will not happen until the axle is ready to be bolted up under the truck)
  • Lugnut 4x4 disc brake kit that has new caliper brackets and 1986 chevy 3/4 Ton calipers and disc so I can have access to more readily (and locally) available brake parts.
  • Either drilling the passenger knuckle for Hi-Steer or getting a REID Racing passenger knuckle.
  • Crane Axle diff cover

That's what I got so far besides getting the obvious swap kit components and eventually a 4x4 transmission and transfer case (Hope I can get this 4L80E a buddy has and make it work). Plus a FF 14 Bolt for the rear.

But like I said, it's going to be a while before I acquire all the parts for the SAS so it'll be a while.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Just an update on something I've done to the Yukon. I changed the HVAC knobs to the 08-17 GMC Savana/Chevy Express Van knobs. Gives it a more modern look and I like them more than the stock knobs.

They are GM part number: 84141127

They are a direct fit to the 95+ gmt400's after you take a spacer off the bottom.

Here's a video I did of the knobs.

Then just in the last couple days I installed a 42" LED light bar. I couldn't exactly put it where I wanted it because I don't have a roof rack yet... But when I build a roof rack it'll be right behind the cab lights.

The light bar is the same one I have on my 2000 XJ and I love it. The one on my Jeep is a 32" and this one is a 42". I was able to get the light bars over memorial day weekend for 60% off and an extra $5 off so I got two of them for less than one would be. The other light bar is going on the Trail Jeep.

The light bar is an 42" AuxBeam V-Series RGB LED light bar. It is super bright with a nice spread of light with 5D lenses and it also has a RGB backlighting.

This is where the light bar is mounted, on the factory roof rails as far forward as it will go. Which is at the rear doors. But again, it will have to do for now.

I mounted the Bluetooth module on the side of the truck box under the hood, and the relay close by since the wire to power the module is short.

One thing I will say about the V-Series bars is the wire length. If you want to mount the bar on the roof, you are going to have to lengthen both the power and the RGB wires. Bumper mounting the wires are plenty long.

First off I lengthened the RGB lead using a generic RGB water resistant extension lead, Most often called RGB rock light extensions. Then I soldered all the wires together.

RGB plug cut off.

Rock light extension.

Rock light extension striped and ready to solder.

Soldering.

Bar all wired up.

Daytime picture of the light bar.

Both my Yukon and my 2000 XJ. Both with AuxBeam V-Series Bars. Jeep has the 32", Yukon has the 42". Also has AuxBeam LED Headlight on the 2000 XJ that I installed halos on.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
All three of my vehicles.

Then yesterday I routed the switch wiring inside the Yukon.
Extended the switch wiring.

Added a third switch and install done.

Here's the videos I did on the light bar install.

And that's it for now. I did a little work on the new headlights but don't have the pictures uploaded.

'Til next time!

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
like your work. i think the bumper you built looks good. looks old school. the only thing i would change is the green. why that color? are you Irish?
another thing, at the start of your thread, you mentioned you got the ute free because of running issues but there was no mention of what the problem was. so, what was it?

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
like your work. i think the bumper you built looks good. looks old school. the only thing i would change is the green. why that color? are you Irish?
another thing, at the start of your thread, you mentioned you got the ute free because of running issues but there was no mention of what the problem was. so, what was it?

Thanks!

No, green just became my favorite color about 5 or so years ago. Used to be blue, but I love the neon green colors now.

The running issues were a fuel pump and distributor cap. Seemed like a bigger problem at first, but ended up not being the case.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Here's a couple pictures to update the progress on V2 of headlights I'm building. Pictures are from a couple weeks ago and last week. Almost got one headlight build then just to copy onto the next with some improvements that I learned building the first one.

First off I marked my lights on the garage door.

Then I got the cube mounted in the housing using the marks on the door to line it up with the old headlights. It's slightly cocked to one side but I can live with it.

You can also see the projector output quality from the driver side being the old cheap lights and then the passenger side being the new lights.

Hard to see but the high beams are on.

Then I sealed the backside where the power and halo wires went through.

Then this is what the final look of the cube will be, of course I still need to clean up some of the excess glue, sand it down, and then paint it black, but the housing itself is done besides that. Now all I have to do is trim the black cover to fit around the cube and add the halo to that.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Way to complicated for me. Very nice thou. Will you state laws allow you to use those as replacement headlights?

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
need some night pics.

I will when I get at least one completed.

Way to complicated for me. Very nice thou. Will you state laws allow you to use those as replacement headlights?

Thanks. Well, as long as it's only the high beams, and not like some people that do both high and low, I don't think it should be a problem. They won't really be used except on back roads.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Here's a night picture I forgot to post, might not be what you were looking for. This was late last week, still have my old headlights.