Project Yukon HD (1996 Yukon c1500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks!

No, green just became my favorite color about 5 or so years ago. Used to be blue, but I love the neon green colors now.

The running issues were a fuel pump and distributor cap. Seemed like a bigger problem at first, but ended up not being the case.

What is the color code of your green paint?
Have a 99 thinking of painting, Thanks, Ron

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Did a little more work on the headlight this week. Got it to where all I need to do is add the 70mm halo around the projector.

At first I just trimmed the black cover around the cube, seemed like it was going to work.
You must be registered for see images attach

Came to find out, even though it was super close to maybe work and it actually slid around the cube... It was not straight and the lense would never be able to be installed, let alone work with the projector in place. So I just cut off the edges over the cube. Doesn't look as great as I would have wanted, but it'll work.

Then I used a little more glue to build up around the cube to cover the places I cleaned up with the razer, had alittle trouble since I was in a little rush it didn't get mixed enough. Ended up with parts not fully dry but works, just some imperfections that you can only see up close. Also painted it all black.
(paint is still slightly wet.)

Paint is pretty much dry.

What it will look like with the cover, without the halo around the projector yet.

Hope to actually get this housing finished this week so all I have left is the passenger side. Which should go a lot quicker.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
How's the headlights working out?

Honestly... still haven't finished them. Will hopefully work on them in the next couple weekends, I would like to get them done. It's been almost a year since I started, but they went on hiatus with the frame problems and again with senior project.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Well, it's been a couple months since the last update. I started a new job in July, working at a GM dealership now. So not as much time during the week to work in stuff, but I get a little bit done here and there. First off, I have finished one of the headlights (still need to re-seal it though), I might forgo making a video of some of the next headlight so I can just go head and get these done. Been over a year since I started them, but also had a lot of hangups with the Yukon so I took a hiatus from building them.

Anyway, here is the "completed" passenger side. (again, need to seal up)

I also picked up a wiring harness from a 1996 K2500 5.7 with a 4L80E. So yeah, I will be putting a 4L80E in with the SAS. I have access to a 4L80E that should be rebuilt that just needs an internal wiring harness. I hope it's for a GMT400, haven't gone and looked at it yet.

Also, since my new job, I'm making more money so I'm saving up slowly to get the stuff for my SAS. But also doing some things I've wanted to do on the Yukon. Like install a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX double DIN radio. Got the 4201NEX (only difference is the camera is included.)

Here's the radio and Metra 95-3003G dash kit. I wanted the full bezel, but wanted so save a little cash.

This is me soldering the Pioneer and metra harness together, also adding the PAC TR-1 micro bypass for the parking brake.

Then I installed the radio, cut the bezel, clearance behind the radio, and installed the adapter.

Here's the video of the install, I got into a lot more detail.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Then the next night, I installed the camera.

Then the next day I adjusted the camera lines through the radio with a parking spot. You can see the distance I gave myself for the spare tire.

The camera really helps to line a trailer up. You can also keep an eye on the load while driving.

Here's the video on the install of the camera, also did a front camera. Video 1 in back up cam, Video 2 is front camera.

Well, my new job is 30 miles away, mostly highway and I was swapping between my Yukon and my Jeep. Well, I guess age and driving about 60 miles or so a day highway took it's toll on my Jeeps water pump and it started to leak out of the weep hole. So I left it there overnight and came back the next day with a trailer.

Also moved my solenoid on my winch.

Then I did a little overview of the radio and dash kit. I've been using Pandora with Android Auto. Love it, google maps is also a plus using that.

Then took a couple trips out with the Jeeps.

And that's it for now on the Yukon. I also picked up a 2000 GMC Sonoma SLS Ext. Cab Long Bed 2wd, it's going to be my new daily now that I'm driving about 60 miles a day for work. It's got the 2.2L 4 cylinder so it should be decent on gas, lot better than the 10-12 MPG I get with the Yukon and my Jeep.

Oh, and it only has 77,700 miles on it. It was my grandmothers so it's been sitting for a while and needs to be cleaned up.

Here's an introduction video on it. I will make a build thread when I start to modify it over in the Other vehicle section.

'Til next time!

Last edited:

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn you've been busy. I'd be thinking abt making a mold of those headlights so I could repop some, they look great.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your interested check out a company called alumalite, I use them for casting resin but there's people who repop automotive pieces using their system.

Also somehow a vid of your jeep popped up under related vids on youtube and that things badass.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score