Project: Just Keep it Nice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
So I had to do a job transfer.... 550 miles with this 24' beast behind me from Longview to Kermit, TX.

You must be registered for see images

Sierra did pretty well with it, but she definitely didn't like it lol. I have the engine tune pretty well ironed out at this point, and she managed 11mpg getting out here... Compared to my dad's old 90 ECSB with the 350 TBI and auto (700r4?) which got around 9-10 with the same trailer.

Ended up removing the entire subwoofer system. Not sure what I'm going to do for the sound system in there anymore, may just leave it alone. I think once I get done with the job out here in a year or so, I'm finally going to have enough saved up to really tear into it and rebuild the entire truck the way I want it, with a built 383 and NV4500, all the good stuff. For now, she's back to being my daily unless and until I go back home and grab the Blazer to bring out here instead.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn I like this truck.

I wish my 0411 swap went as smooth as yours, I'm pushing on a week since I've done it and it's still not running right.

I love all the LED work too, super clean.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Damn I like this truck.

I wish my 0411 swap went as smooth as yours, I'm pushing on a week since I've done it and it's still not running right.

I love all the LED work too, super clean.

Thanks :) What's not working out with the 0411? I could probably help.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
11mpg while pulling anything is damn good!

I've been to Kermit a few times, back when you could ride in the sand dunes.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks :) What's not working out with the 0411? I could probably help.

Well it's got issues idling, wants to stall when I put it in gear, bogs real hard when I get on it, and is throwing codes for the MAF, CMP, and crank relearn; I'm about to de-pin it again and check every wire, even though I'm 110% sure everything is right.
I don't want to clutter up your thread with this, so we can move the discussion to my thread if you'd like.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Once you go subs, you never go back. LOL! I really need to get a sub in my 97. Really nice truck! I do like that color, now you gotta get a stainless billet grille. :p

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
now you gotta get a stainless billet grille. :p

I'll be honest, I'm not really a fan of those. I do want to change out the blinker housings for clears and get a grille-guard for it, but other than that I'm very happy with my front
You must be registered for see images attach

It would be kind of cool to do a sort of backlighting for the GMC emblem... Maybe I'll figure out how to do that someday :D

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I'm not really a fan of those. I do want to change out the blinker housings for clears and get a grille-guard for it, but other than that I'm very happy with my front

It would be kind of cool to do a sort of backlighting for the GMC emblem... Maybe I'll figure out how to do that someday :D
I was just gonna say to get clear parking lights lol! I think a grille guard would look pretty sweet on it.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Well... Haven't done much since the trailering. Chasing down a bad cruising misfire issue I think may be the distributor gear being worn out... Or yet another cap gone bad. SO SICK of these distributor caps, BUT... Cam offset is showing -6.5 degrees, and now looking back at old logs, that was only -2.9 to -3.2 in 2017 ... And I've not removed the distributor itself in that time. And it's just slightly coincidental that if I knock off about 3 degrees of timing, it smooths out.................yeah. Think a new distributor body is in Sierra's future. Then again, a 383 rebuild with a 24x reluctor and coil-near-plug is too, but we'll get to that some other time I guess.

In the meantime, I wanted matching door and ignition keys (and for my door lock key to actually WORK, which it hasn't in forever), so I bought a new ignition lock cylinder and two door lock cylinder kit. Little did I know how much of a $#*%^ replacing the door lock cylinders would be to do. It was SO easy on my Blazer, I was like oh this'll be fine.... yeah. right. I only got one done lol. Well at least I have one door key that works now. And since the door handle trim was cracking on both sides, I also bought new handles - all-metal chrome handles :D I think it looks good :D ..

What a pain to get in there!!!

And I still gotta do the driver side....

Unfortunately, the Sierra wasn't really the focus of my vehicular attack that weekend so that's all I did to it. Blazer on the other hand, being basically my full-time daily driver in Kermit, got a full sound system overhaul, complete with 1/0 wire frame/engine/body/battery grounds with a top-post conversion;; 1/0 power from battery to alternator/rear of truck, also with a top-post conversion;; new Alpine CDE-HD149BT stereo head;; new Sundown Audio SAE-2000.1D monoblock;; and my old sub box that used to be in the Sierra replacing the rear seats, with one Alpine SWS-12D4 and one Alpine SWR-1242D.. Yeah they're not the same, but they're rated identical and they sound good together so screwit, I didn't buy new subs lol.

Doing the updates to that truck has given me some of the best ideas for what to do on the Sierra sound system when it comes time for that... And I daresay I have enough 1/0 left over to do it.

I miss wrenching on my truck, and she needs it. Frame is surface-rusting pretty bad now... I'd guess it's only a matter of time before the body starts too. I want to work on it, but seeing as I work 550 miles away from home, I'm rather stuck right now.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I'm home for a bit, so update! Hit the U-Pull-It for the first time in forever, looking for project fuel lol. Didn't find what I really wanted, but did get some things to play with. First off, I found me a set of tailgate drop-stops from an 88 ECSB that looked VERY out of place because there was absolutely nothing visibly wrong with it from the outside... Eh. It even still has a camper shell on it. Most of the interior was still intact as well. I left it... But I did take these.

And I can't even put them on because somebody in their infinite wisdom make the slots in the bolts on the bedside slimmer on the cable stops. And somebody else in their infinite wisdom didn't bother to check other trucks with that style to be sure they wouldn't need to grab the bolts off the truck they got the rails from..........................

Somebody on this forum said something about replacing the pickup rear dome light with one from the rear of a Suburban.. Well I found one such Suburban, pulled that dome light set out... And neglected to realize that one of the bulb housings was completely missing lol. Not only that, but upon further investigation discovered I can't put my 5-way LEDs in the map lights because of the way the housings are designed :( .. May fall off that idea, but I did do a mock-up fit.

I dunno... I may just hang onto what I have.

Then I found what turned into the best hit: a 2000 OBS Escalade. Looked like owner flew into a wall - nothing left of the engine forward. And I could not believe what I found sitting on the passenger seat when I got into it.

Uh, yeah I snagged it. Plugged it in, too!

Fuel gauge beat the crap out of the oil pressure gauge when I turned the key off :lol: I don't have intentions to keep it, however, due to my future plans for the truck... Which may or may not happen based on the general unavailability of parts :/

I did snag these to compliment my new outside door handles tho :D

Moving on... I have mentioned before that I like the old GMT400 dash over the new ones right? Maybe? No...? Well I do :p and someday, God willing, I'm going to put a 93-94 front interior in this truck. Dash, doors, steering, all of it. Well maybe not the seat, I like my 60/40 lol. Anyway, I picked up a cluster from a 93 with the 5.0, automatic because apparently nobody wrecks manual trucks in East Texas :p .. and sadly, it was the only one with a tach I could find, because the clear plastic is totally wrecked. Several 4.3 trucks with no tach. No good steering columns, tho I did pick up an ok-looking GMC steering wheel cap. One dash that wasn't cracked at all, looked to be fully intact. But it was red. No door panels that hadn't been utterly destroyed. So I left with nothing but a cluster and some cargo lamp switches lol.

Misc pic...

found these sitting in the rear seat of a 97 ECSB, grabbed them just to see what makes them tick. Broke the odometer within two minutes of tinkering with it :rofl:

What the fuse box? I'm coming to that.. I want to add more relays to the truck, and I don't want aftermarket fuse/relay boxes, because 1-they're cheap looking as all hell, and 2-they don't use the same fuses and relays as what's in the current fuse box (Mini 280-Series). AND, I have a plan for redoing the entire truck's lighting system..... with one of these.

Had to make it fit lol

That is the flasher unit from a 2003 whatever pretty much, I got it from a Trailblazer but they're in the 03+ GMT800 trucks, HHRs, probably a laundry list of cars... Why?

These flasher units don't require the stupid complicated multi-function switches that don't work properly anyway -- see front blinkers staying on when you hit the brakes with the flashers on? Ugh. Stuuuu - PID. This flasher remedies all of it by requiring only two wires from the column, and one from the brake switch, and it does me the favor of giving both independent blinkers, and combined blinkers/brakes on separate outputs.. I could even wire it to the existing system with very little modification. But one of my future projects is basically rewiring the entire truck so yeah... This will be going in.

Couple extra fuses there for trailer and camper shell stuff, etc... It's really starting to take shape in my mind how I want this to go down. Note : Things never go the way they take shape in my mind :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh and uh, in case anyone wants to dive deeper into my pit of self-isolated insanity, have a look at my conversion spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...9EllLNZP2gRbO5gjkx0oTnQ8o/edit#gid=1079077603

Last edited: