Project: Just Keep it Nice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Would you want to sell one of those heater controls and radio head units? Mine needs to warm up for 30 mins before I can adjust the heater controls or radio volume when its cold outside.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I can let a few of the heater controls go, and one of the head units sans treble/bass buttons, but might I ask, is it because the buttons stick when cold? In fact, the one head I have with the bass/treble buttons had the same problem when I was using it in my 93 in Fairbanks, AK... if I went to adjust the volume starting out when it was colder than about 15 degrees it would stick in whichever direction I wanted it to go. All the way up, or all the way down :rofl:

Make me an offer on the heater controller, I'll just put it in a small flat-rate most likely. I think it should fit. PayPal? I have at least three that have fully intact mounts, and I'm keeping one of them lol. Lemme know and I'll clean one up for you, inside and out :)

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
yea, that would be great, I definitely need the heater control. The radio is probably just dirty contacts in the volume button or something, not sure but it works when it warms up, lol.

I really dont know what they go for in junkyards? If you know it works good in the cold and the buttons dont stick, I suppose maybe $10-15 shipped for the heater controller? Paypal is fine.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Well I can tell you, once I get er cleaned up inside, the outside buttons won't stick at room temp, but that's not to say the internals won't stick in colder temps lol. I never had a problem with my HVAC controller sticking in my 93, and that truck saw -50*F for a few weeks while I had it. It was just my radio volume buttons, and I'm pretty sure it just needed cleaning. Now, for cost, I mean I did get them dirt cheap but I was hoping for like $30 shipped, I mean, they go for $80+ on ebay :p especially for one with good, uncracked mounting tabs that I'm tearing down to clean up :)

Now for a quick update on mine: Finished up my LED install completely with the few remaining items; Cargo Lamp switch, Passenger Airbag switch, Mirror, Windows, and Locks switches! PS the airbag switch is not for the faint of heart LOL. And I still need to replace the bulbs behind the HVAC.. I think the solder joints inside the #74 housings came loose, because they do work sporadically. But they've been in use since 2008 so I figure vibration over time has probably caused problems.

You must be registered for see images attach

There is a bit of a hot-spot in the middle of the text of course but it's not terrible.

Only TWO BULBS left to convert... The main ceiling dome light, and the under-hood light. EVERYTHING else is LED now :D

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
@88GMCtruck thanks for the insight about the 88-89 headlights. I am LOVING their look on my truck :gr_grin:

Visited a junkyard I hadn't been to before and found a treasure trove of GMT400 trucks. Will probably be going back someday to do my dash swap if that is in fact a direction I want to go :D

Not sure when or how it happened but it was while I had left my truck parked at walmart while I was out driving the semi... But someone managed to hit my taillight and busted it some. So that got fixed today.

Before:

After:

Easy peasy... Even with my *special* S10 Blazer lighting harness.

While I was in the junker I managed to find several mostly gutted 94 Camaros... Each one had one of those little warning buzzer modules, so I grabbed one for the truck :D No more eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee when I leave my lights on, now it's a ding ding ding ding lol. But, now I have to short my seatbelt wiring (that has been broken under the seat since I bought the truck) because the Camaros are wired differently.. No seatbelt in our trucks, switch is open. No seatbelt in Camaros, switch is closed :blah: I mean yeah I could just pull the bulb out of the cluster because there's not a time I get in that truck without putting on my seatbelt but .... meh. It's whatev lol

And now for the main event! Headlight swap! Managed to pull a complete set off a really nice looking 89... Not sure why this truck was even in the junkyard to be honest, there wasn't anything wrong with it aside from the missing parts from being in the yard for a few weeks. Oh well. Off with its headlights and wiring! Didn't even need to clean them up much. Thinking about shooting the bulb retainers in blue tho :D

Couldn't handle the suspense, put them on the truck!!!

Temporarily hooked the bare wires up to the stock bulb harnesses...

I LIKE IT :D Now to pick up those LMC composite housings... And I still need to do my quad-beam mod :hahano: Then I'll really be good to go! :headbang:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Did just that - love how he snapped back after the wreck!! Great friends he has there to help with that too :) wasn't sure what you mean by LED inserts tho? I like that mounting the relays under the PCM tho, that's genius and good use of wasted space lol. Seeing his... or was it yours? radio and HVAC lit up with white LEDs is making me consider redoing mine tho lol. Maybe at least the HVAC because my blues are out right now.

Anyway, I spray-bombed the headlight retainers today :D it's not a good color match and the paint's not smooth by any means :rofl: but gives me an idea of what's visible, and it's not bad from the distance most people are gonna be looking :Big Laugh: but I dunno.. It's not quite .. I'm not feeling it quite as much as I thought I would lol. Might just go back to black.

Last edited: