Project: Just Keep it Nice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I like those headlights on there, My plow truck is an 89 and I never realized those sealed beams were in demand, and I just got new headlights for my 93 otherwise I'd throw the sealed beams in that one. IMO, if you spray the blinker surrounds blue also, it might look like it matches better.

Yea, I can do $30 shipped for one of your good heater controls. Just PM me whenever, I wont be driving it for a few months anyway, unless the Girlfriends's Blazer breaks down.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Did just that - love how he snapped back after the wreck!! Great friends he has there to help with that too :) wasn't sure what you mean by LED inserts tho? I like that mounting the relays under the PCM tho, that's genius and good use of wasted space lol. Seeing his... or was it yours? radio and HVAC lit up with white LEDs is making me consider redoing mine tho lol. Maybe at least the HVAC because my blues are out right now.

Anyway, I spray-bombed the headlight retainers today :D it's not a good color match and the paint's not smooth by any means :rofl: but gives me an idea of what's visible, and it's not bad from the distance most people are gonna be looking :Big Laugh: but I dunno.. It's not quite .. I'm not feeling it quite as much as I thought I would lol. Might just go back to black.

You must be registered for see images attach

LED inserts - he has drop in LED bulbs in the LMC housings as opposed to halogens or HIDs. And the relays were done in both trucks at the same time actually.

I'm going to vote keeping the headlight retainers black. The blue looks like a bit much IMO

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Well I didn't keep them bright blue but I also didn't go back to black... Kinda settled on something in between, and I like the results a lot better now :)

Actually looks black from a distance, until you get right up on them :D

IMO, if you spray the blinker surrounds blue also, it might look like it matches better.

Oooh I like that idea! But I think I may do them in the darker blue like I have on the headlights now ;)

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The very last item of my front-end steering system got replaced a few weeks ago... Power steering pump could no longer hold its own and kept shutting down at anything below about 1500rpm engine speed. It'd work, randomly. Ran it like that for about 2 months because my new job took all my time, but finally it got to a point where I couldn't take it anymore. Replaced the pump and the fluid high-line with one from a 96. Why? Because I'm also done with the variable power steering... It would randomly give free-wheel steering at speeds and on curves where I really didn't want it. Now I can fully rely on my power steering again. Oh and I ripped out the EVAP canister because it kept getting in my way lol. Cut the vac line back to the engine and capped both lines off. Then figured out that capping the tank line probably isn't the best idea because it made getting the gas cap off... somewhat more difficult :rofl: so that one got pulled back out to where it's just barely vented.

Also had to replace the gaskets on my oil pump bracket, you know that thing they put on 4x4s to get the oil filter out of the way of the front drive shaft lol... It started leaking pretty bad from the engine side. Was actually surprised my local parts store even had that gasket set in stock, obscure as I thought it was. Only now... It's leaking from the cooler line fittings at the bracket, because I can't get IN there with anything to get them tightened up! Sigh. Always something, right?

In the meantime, I've been SD tuning because I can't ever seem to get her running right with the MAF enabled, may need to replace that.. Screw it. She runs great with it turned off. My gas gauge and sender are now hooked up to the PCM, with the PCM fully re-calibrated for my system. Why? Because I could :rofl:

Aside from all that, I really haven't done much else but drive it. My headlights are still jerry-rigged 88-89 bare-wired to the 9005/9006 connectors :hahano: BUT! I literally JUST ordered the LMC composite housings and LED sets (from SBL, of course) right before posting this, sooo hopefully it won't be too much longer before I have them in, and pictures WILL be posted :D I may get a good-sized light bar too, stick that in behind the grille or something. Maybe. I do a lot of night driving these days so it could be useful depending on how well the LMC composite housings do with the LEDs. Honestly I'm trying to save up for a second vehicle so I can REALLY tear down Sierra for much bigger changes. So many ideas, so little money :rotflmao:

Ideas ...

-- Removal of the rear seat entirely, bolt sub box and components to the floor and/or rear cab wall
-- Blazer/Jimmy/Envoy/Bravada DIC for upper console
-- Jimmy/Envoy/Sonoma steering wheel w/ radio controls
-- Wideband o2 sensor system
-- EGR Delete (Tune has it disabled anyway, what's the point of it being there...)
-- Alarm system, possibly remote start, but definitely alarm
-- White LED strip lighting in engine bay (on order)
-- Lots of other lighting ideas
-- Complete replacement of entire A/C system (mine leaks, and I'm not taking chances with replacing the compressor and little else. And I think it's getting sick of me refilling it constantly lol)
-- Moderate window tinting
-- Class 2 Serial conversion for some parts of the instrument cluster with a Blazer BCM taking care of door locks, indicators, interior lighting, etc.. May go along with my complete truck rewire below.
-- Replacement of the ignition cylinder with one from an auto, with matching-keyed door handles... The release button on the standard ignition cylinder is an *******.
-- Removal of the side-mouldings

Contingent upon parts going bad....

-- Battery: Dual Optima Red-Top batteries in stock locations
-- Engine: Sooo many ideas lol. Twin turbo 383? Would love to build my own engine from the ground up, but don't really know much about that aside from just the basic "putting one together" from parts :Insane: had this fun idea that I might have an engine built up and ready to go in when the one in the truck kicks the bucket, but I don't REALLY believe that's gonna happen lol.
-- Transmission: NV4500? Or NV5600? Beefed up NV3500? Really wouldn't mind the 6-speed but I know the NV5600 doesn't bolt up as-is, or so I've heard. Made all that much more fun because I have a 4x4... Two ends that have to match unless I go with a divorced setup or have special adapters made.

Upon Acquisition of second vehicle? ...

-- Complete teardown and cleaning of entire body and frame, new undercoating, bedliner underbody, ??
-- Full rewire of rear-end lighting from engine bay to back of truck, blinkers separate from brakes entirely (like GMT800 Suburbans) ... yes I'm aware this is going to take more than just a rewire. May end up modifying the muti-function switch unit, along with possibly using a flasher module from a GMT800. I don't like the way the hazards mingle with the brakes, causing the front blinkers to stay steady-on with the brakes applied.
-- If I'm to be absolutely honest, I really want to completely clean up and redo the wiring throughout the entire truck. Integrate some of my early mods (e-fans, temp readout sensor, etc) wiring into the looms, and remove what's no longer in use (EGR, power steering valve wires, 4x4 diff actuator wires, etc etc...).... And the PCM wiring STILL needs serious help in the cosmetics department.
-- Rear differential swap to open 14bsf, OR early GMT800 14bsf for the disc brake conversion at the same time (aware of re-welding of spring/shock mounts requirement)... Manual rear locker?? Seems there are some out there, but prohibitively expensive... Just not a fan of the G80, I don't think mine ever unlocks. Turning one wheel while in the air makes the other side move in the same direction, and neither move with the transmission in gear.
-- GMT800 Brake Master Cylinder swap, complete fluid flush, new softlines
-- 24x LS Coil-Over-Plug conversion (already have the coils and wiring needed, just need the 24x reluctor and distributor cap delete... And a usable LS HPTuners tune file :p

I'm all out of thoughts for now. Will post back when my new lighting arrives :D

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Photo time!

From my replacement of the power steering pump

Pulley off

Pump and high line out

New vs old, misc...

Pics of the 4x4 oil filter adapter, new gaskets, etc..

What a mess.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Got some packages!!

I'm loving the way these things look already, and they're not even on the truck yet.

LEDs? Hell YES!

High Beam

They stick out a little.

Here we go! Had to do a little modificating to the headlight retainer housings, as there were some plastic and metal bits in the way... First, the old wiring retainer clips had to be removed, then these metal tabs had to be broken off. Bulbs wouldn't fit if I didn't.

Easy enough. Gotta love those heat sinks.

Oh yeah!

Next I had to bend the core support a little!!! Nope, this isn't gonna work...

NOW it will!

Not much different, but just enough.

SWWWEEEEEEEEEEETTT

Now I need to replace those nasty blinker housings lol. Oh and I removed that aux fan from the front finally. Hasn't been hooked up since the e-fan install......

Following pictures were all taken from the same location, with the same settings. Unfortunately, things took a little longer than I had hoped, so I don't have any finished dark LED pics yet. The LED pics are with ONLY the passenger side installed.

Stock sealed low

High

LED passenger side only low.... Already brighter than stock, even with the daylight coming.

High

Man these things are wicked.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Looks like I will be putting HIDs in my 98 now that you said everything that you had to do. Appreciate the info!! What are the part numbers out of curiosity?

In terms of the manual, I would probably go with the NV4500 if you go crazy with engine power. If you have enough to pony up you can probably get a T56 adapted for a transfer case and have a car like 6 speed manual.

Last edited:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Looks like I will be putting HIDs in my 98 now that you said everything that you had to do. Appreciate the info!! What are the part numbers out of curiosity?

In terms of the manual, I would probably go with the NV4500 if you go crazy with engine power. If you have enough to pony up you can probably get a T56 adapted for a transfer case and have a car like 6 speed manual.
Well the way I see it, why couldn't I do the same with the NV5600? It's also a sixer they put behind the Cummins in Ram pickups. The only thing about them is, they were never used in GM vehicles unlike the NV4500 or the T56, so both ends would need to be adapted. But other than that...

The part numbers for the light housings are 36-0302 and 36-0303 for low/high beam housings respectively, from LMCTruck. You'll have to pull the brackets and retainers from an 88-89 truck. The LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs are 9006-HLV4 for the lows and 9005-HLV5 for the highs. I could have gone with the HLV4 set for both lows and highs but the HLV5 set is brighter. And looking at it now, I'm not sure they'd have fit lol.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Well this happened today.

Looks like I have a pair of new subs in my future now.

This Alpine Type R 12" subwoofer and its twin have been with me since 2007, and this morning I think this one decided it's had enough. Thankfully, it appears to have spared the amp it was connected to. The other sub is still playing okay, for now, but I'm probably going to take it apart for a look-see as well.

In the meantime, I'm looking at probably replacing both with the newer SWR-12D4 woofers... 3kw peak, 1kw RMS? The way I play, they'll never blow lol. Or the amps will first, considering they're good up to only 600w RMS :p

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Well that didn't work out. Amps are both fried and have been for several months now, along with one of my replacement R-W12D4 subs.............. No idea why. I don't turn it up high. Only thing I can figure at this point is, the amps do not like my audio input from the stock HU through the line-level converter. They don't even come on with no audio hookups anymore without trying to blow up my still-good subs. Oh well...

I bought and essentially fully rebuilt a 2003 2-door 2wd Chevy Blazer this past winter for my 75-mile round trip work commute, so Sierra's been a back burner project for quite a while now. Kind of just chasing down little issues as they crop up, the latest of which has been coolant leaks... The fitting at the intake manifold for the heater core has been leaking for the better part of 6 months now, but literally just today I had to cut back the hose that goes to the overflow bottle and put on a new hose clamp due to a leak. It's like this thing doesn't want to retain coolant lol. Oh well.. I'll fix it eventually, the heater core return line on the blazers go to a solid fitting, unlike the stupid disconnect fitting on the Vortec 350s so I'm going to swap to that someday.

I need to do the front wheel bearings, as they've now brought on ABS issues as well as making a very ominous humming noise while I'm making turns... The camper shell has probably lost 90% of its paint, so I want to get that redone too... I just don't have the time to mess with it anymore like I want to. Still runs great getting 17-18mpg with mostly city driving, tight transmission, differential is hanging in there I guess lol...Oh, had to have the pinion shaft seal replaced on that, it looked like something got wrapped up in the drive shaft and exploded all over the undercarriage lol. Still wanting to do a GMT800 rear axle swap, even have a welder on hand who can redo the spring pads and shock mounts for me. Just........no time. Also no desire to work in the Texas heat while being devoured by mosquitoes. I still try my best to keep her clean tho, and she is still driven, so there is that I guess. Still love my truck.

Here she is behind a coworker's 93.. Most recent picture I have right now, about a week ago. I wanna say that's a 94 in the background as well...

The 2003 Blazer... In the midst of its teardown lol.

5 minutes ago....