programmer for 98 chevy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright guys I have a 98 chevy and I'm wantin to put a programmer on it for right now and later I'm gonna get it tuned but for right now just a proogrammer but what programmer would y'all suggest?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Just get a custom mail order tune from Blackbear, PCM for less, etc...its cheaper thatn a programmer and will give you much better results

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
x2 talk to justin a blackbear performance, 250$ plus 60$ deposit on your pcm (i kept my stock one), unlimited updates. Also something i wish i would have done at the time is a 411 pcm swap.

98chevy4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much of a difference will I see and how good are these blackbear tunes. Mines just a stock 355 vortec. I've got headers and everything for it I just haven't put it on and there's still some things I wannna get done to it so do I need to wait to get the tune or what

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
From what I've heard, a lot of guys say a tune from Blackbear is the best mod they've done to their truck by far. If you want to go ahead and tune it you can and then you can get it updated for free as you add stuff, or you could wait until you get it all done. Just go to their website (blackbearperformance.com) and send them an email and they'll give you all the info you want.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Well i see your running efans, A BB tune can encorperate them into it so they work like they would if they were factory, also with your shift kit he can probably firm up the shifts a little more, get rid of Torque management or reduce it enough anyways. if your doing headers you can get your rear O2 sensors and egr tuned out, this will clean up your engine bay, allow for an easier install and get rid of some more electronic crap. Tuning for tire size, Even on a stock 355 it should be a real noticable diference, depending on the route you go.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WEll then black bear is the way to go or Nelson or Wait4Me. BB does lifetime re tunes if you get new mods for free.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Its a computer out of a newer model vehicle. The benefit of swapping them out is that it thinks faster, can control more stuff (like e-fans) and is easier to tune. It does require some rewiring to make it work though