Pressure when opening gas cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schwarze_crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After I have been driving for a while and open the fuel cap, I get a woosh of air. I noticed it lloks like this rig has an EVIC system. So, any idea where my problem might be? The cap looked like it may have some sort of vent, but I'm not certain. I would like to fix this, as I wonder if it might help my fuel mileage a bit. Thanks

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Could be that the gas cap's vent is S.O.L. Usually when my gas caps have died, the computer throws a code. 'Fuel Evap' or 'Fuel Recirc.', or some such thing.
Try a new one. About $10.00.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
Mine does that too. Does it hurt anything? I had never been too worried about it

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Some vacuum on the tank is normal. It's part of the evap system. It makes a "whoosh" sound when you crack open the cap if it's holding just a touch more than most. Most will make a slight and very brief "sssss" sound as you loosen the cap.

Last edited:

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some vacuum on the tank is normal. It's part of the evap system. It makes a "whoosh" sound when you crack open the cap if it's holding just a touch more than most. Most will make a slight and very brief "sssss" sound as you loosen the cap.

i agree, nothing you can do unless it throws a code, other than change the cap, but that ain't guaranteeing the whoosh will go away

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 91 does it badly when its hot outside im thinking its a pinched line somewhere

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My caps under a year old right from GM and it still made the Woosh sound. Its normal.