Pre-Trip Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It also seems that I've developed a bit of a leak somewhere. So that's one more thing to check when I get under there.

LEAK UPDATE: It looks like it's coming from the rear diff, so what should my next step be.

Last edited:

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
It also seems that I've developed a bit of a leak somewhere. So that's one more thing to check when I get under there.

LEAK UPDATE: It looks like it's coming from the rear diff, so what should my next step be.

YHou should get some 80 90 weight gear oil and a rear end gasket (felpro) and some rtv and flush the diff.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless its the pinion seal... :eek:

It looks like it's coming from the cover. Once I noticed where the drip spot was, I poked my head under to see. Cover looks like it's covered in oil and dirt. What would cause it to leak? Just age?

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
It looks like it's coming from the cover. Once I noticed where the drip spot was, I poked my head under to see. Cover looks like it's covered in oil and dirt. What would cause it to leak? Just age?

Yup. In have to do mine. The woman needs to understand that you can't just drive a vehicle. To keep it running you gotta spend money on it. My gf complains cause I buy stuff for my 16 year old 230k mile truck a couple times a month or I'm always doing something to it. But I never have to do things to her recently 100k mile 10 year old car. Until her coil pack went out and it costed me $420. Neglect costs more in the long run. I'd tell her to stay out of my damn wallet when It comes to the vehicles. That's just me though.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only prob with synthetic is that if you have even the tiniest leak or a weeping seal, the synthetic will find it & cause bigger leaks.

I have heard this a lot and the exact opposite happened with my 88, swithed from castrol dino oil to mobil 1, same wieght 10w30, and the leaks got better, everything is just wet now not dripping and I made the switch roughly 5 years ago, I used to get pools of oil on intake and that hasn't happened with synthetic