Power Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming a single serpentine belt, losing that would disable the water pump, A/C, AIR pump (if equipped) and illuminate a warning light on the dash for low alternator voltage.

I suppose the PS pulley could be spinning on the shaft, but I have no idea why any of this would happen due to "doing a donut".

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh, and I thought it was just the late model Mopars that had weak pumps that would croak from doing donuts. I don't do donuts in my 300, but I guess it's a popular hobby of the owners of these cars :anitoof: as they're frequently posting of this exact issue.

It never occurred to me to try donuts in a GMT400 truck since I'd be more worried about roasting the transmission instead..

Richard
I saw a dump truck actually melt the PS reservoir until it emptied onto the ground. The guy took a nap while waiting, and turned the wheel to the lock to make a steady rest. Simply idled the pump dead.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Power steering went out, was doing a donut and it quit right after I let out of it and got straight. No squeal from the pump, no loss of fluid anywhere. Any suggestions on where to start looking for broken stuff and/or has this happened to anyone before n how’d you fix it?
This just happened to me backing out of a driveway. No leaks.belt didn't rip. And pulley on pump still working. Did you find out what is was?. Worst part is both my pump and steering box where rebuilt when I put my new engine in. Which was like 2000 miles ago

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This just happened to me backing out of a driveway. No leaks.belt didn't rip. And pulley on pump still working. Did you find out what is was?. Worst part is both my pump and steering box where rebuilt when I put my new engine in. Which was like 2000 miles ago

You were doing donuts backing out of a driveway?

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Eating a donut while backing out of the driveway should be safe... Doing donuts while backing out is probably somewhat more hazardous, be safe out there ;)

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took the pump to the repair shop the shaft broke from the inside. The whole pulley was easily pulled forward. Glad it didn't fall apart driving home