Power Steering pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwchevyguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a newby question.

I've got a significant power steering fluid leak on my '98 K1500. I can't tell if it's just the high pressure line or if the pump is leaking. The pump has been screaming at me some. I have to add some fluid about every other time I drive it (1-2 times a week). Does this mean the pump is already shot? What's the best replacement pump. I've seen some really bad reviews from some of the auto store reman pump? Thanks.

Tzfbird

Reaction score
I have started rebuilding my own if there is a parts kit available. A pump can be rebuilt in about an hour with basic hand tools at a cost of $5-10 depending on the brand and parts in the kits. I generally put a price on my time for repairs at $20/hr and if the price of parts and labor is less than what buying the part new or reman is then I do the work myself.
You can also rebuild the steering gearbox for $20-30 and the hardest part is probably getting the pitman arm off.
IMO if the pump stops making noise after you add fluid, it's probably still good. If not then the vanes or associated pump internals might have some wear requiring a reman or replacement.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been through a few power steering pumps, including an AC Delco service part since i've owned my truck. The one that finally stuck was from o'reilly of all places. It's been working for over a year now, and I am as surprised as everybody. When it dies i'll probably rebuild it for fun.

bwchevyguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remans run from $60-$75 at the parts stores including O'reilly's. Napa has a new one for $218. OEM from dealer is $322. Ouch. None of the remans have very good reviews that I've seen.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I've been through a few power steering pumps, including an AC Delco service part since i've owned my truck. The one that finally stuck was from o'reilly of all places. It's been working for over a year now, and I am as surprised as everybody. When it dies i'll probably rebuild it for fun.
I'll be doing the same thing with a reman one I got that didn't work for $hit,bought a used one from Pick-A-Part to use in the meantime.I got kit p/n Gates 350390 from Amazon for when I get off my ass and rebuild it,just for fun like you said :)

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Reman one has been fine for the past year. I got rid of the electronic orifice valve for speed sensitive power steering while I was down there. Felt a few slips while turning before it gave out. In my case, it was actually the high pressure line that blew up, but there was so much fluid splashing out that I decided to replace the line and the pump together. Also, I figured the pump may have been damaged while low on fluid.

Remember reading a good thread from @someotherguy that had a good startup procedure after installing the pump to minimize wear.