Power Steering Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unklemikey28

Reaction score
The new pump I installed does not come with an EVO and is suppose to be a direct connection. I don't know anything about the importance of the EVO but the guy at my local shop says I need to put the EVO back on.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EVO was abandoned by GM and there are tech bulletins to remove it from the system, but a bypass pipe is required. I'm replacing the power steering pump in my truck tomorrow morning and will be bypassing the EVO system. Its possible that since you weren't given the bypass pipe that running without it could be a source of your issue, so you would either need to reinstall the EVO valve or purchase a bypass pipe.

unklemikey28

Reaction score
I thought mine came with a bypass pipe.. The new pump has a line coming out of the back that connects directly to the high pressure line.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is what the bypass pipe looks like. Do you have this installed?

You must be registered for see images attach

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, when you say you have steering when you first start the truck and then it dies off after it warms up could you be more specific? Do you loose steering completely as in it locks up? or do you loose the feeling of power steering? Also, why did you replace the power steering pump? Was it from these symptoms? If so it could be that you are building back pressure somewhere. Do you have hydroboost brakes? If you do and they still work properly after that warm up period, I would start to consider the steering gear box as the culprit.