Power steering moan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1992prime

Reaction score
Hi,

My truck (454 tbi) has a constant and subtle power steering moan. At least that’s what it sounds like to me. It increases slightly with revs.
It’s not that bothersome so I’m wondering if it’s just a normal k2500 noise?

Attachments

• 937D4FA4-BDF0-4549-824B-D37C1EF8FA2A.jpeg
    937D4FA4-BDF0-4549-824B-D37C1EF8FA2A.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 33

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is the fluid level correct? The pump will make some noise if it's running low
If the fluid is 1992 edition then it may need flushing and replacing, too. ;)

Seriously, if it's very old fluid, it may just be trash by now. You can cut a line loose and drain out as much as possible, then re-fill with fresh. The key here is to bleed it properly though instead of just filling up the reservoir and starting the engine then begin sawing on the wheel. GM has a procedure for it, straight from the 1994 C/K repair manual:

You must be registered for see images attach

If once you've replaced fluid and bled properly, still moaning? I'd replace the pump. I'd do that as a last resort though, considering the low quality of so many replacement parts these days - either "rebuilt" or Chinesium new, they're a gamble. I'd be more inclined to listen to the pump moan until you can actually feel a loss of assist, then replace the thing.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hi,

My truck (454 tbi) has a constant and subtle power steering moan. At least that’s what it sounds like to me. It increases slightly with revs.
It’s not that bothersome so I’m wondering if it’s just a normal k2500 noise?
BTW freaking CLEAN looking K2500 'Burb; I'm jealous. If it were 2WD I'd be trying to buy it from you. :) Those wheels look great on it - late 90's F250/F350?

Richard

1992prime

Reaction score
Thanks, I’ll look into flushing it soon.
They are Alcoa wheels. Not sure about much else. Truck has 80k miles, but they were kind of hard miles. Just went through and refreshed about everything on it. It looks and feels it’s age now :)

Attachments

• 69D72B1E-6CE8-4951-84AC-603DB7ECEB3F.jpeg
    69D72B1E-6CE8-4951-84AC-603DB7ECEB3F.jpeg
    575.4 KB · Views: 10

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They're definitely from a mid-late 90's F250/F350. Alcoa made them for Ford, and for a short while, those trucks were the same 8x165mm pattern that GM used for a long time. Ford is real bad about changing patterns often.

Not to put any "stink" on 'em :D they're Alcoa wheels, not Ford :) and they do look great on your truck. Here's what they look like on the "other" brand..

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Easy way to flush;

1, Pay a neighbor kid to steer the wheel back and forth.

2. Remove the return line from the reservoir and add enough hose to go up and over the fender/grille and into a container.

2a. Cap the return nipple on the reservoir.

3. Get a bunch of cheap power steering fluid (not transmission fluid).

4. Remove the belt.

5. Thread a short 3/8" coarse thread bolt into the power steering pump shaft.

6. Grab your cordless drill and fit it with a socket that fits the bolt in the pump.

7. Raise the front end to get the tires off the ground.

8. Rig up a funnel so you can pour the fluid in quickly without making a mess.

9. Fill the reservoir, spin the pump while keeping the funnel full as best you can while the kid turns the wheel back and forth from lock to lock.

10. Continue this procedure until the fluid comes out clean.

11. Drain the remaining fluid.

12. Button the hoses back up but leave the funnel in and the belt off.

13. Put a bottle of Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak in the pump and top up the reservoir with the name brand power steering fluid of your choice.

14. Follow the bleeding procedure from someotherguy except when it says start the engine for a few seconds use the cordless instead. Much easier to control.

15. Thank the kid and send him/her home.

Also consider changing the hoses and adding a magnetic filter too.

P.S. I don't know what magic snake oil is in the Lucas goop but I have had it cure a power steering whine on four of my vehicles. Pour it in and it just goes away.:biggrin:

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I didn't need to remove anything on Frank to do this. But Frank is a Frankenstein's monster after all.

An air/cordless ratchet should do o.k. if the clearance is tight. You could also make a short belt out of duct tape so the drill could be offset.

If all else fails you could just start the engine.