Power steering flush, filter, and fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I have noticed that only GM stuff seems to have "tan" colored PS fluid. I have generic "Power Steering Fluid" that I bought years ago to top off the Firebird's system but never flushed it or any other GM vehicle I've owned. Service manual calls for stuff I'd have to find an equivalent for but remember coming up empty handed when I did that last year. Why I never bought anything at that time :)

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Old fluid is nasty fluid. Whether it does or does not measurably shorten life, I am a proponent of changing ALL old fluids as, no matter what it is, it will break down over time. I've used Dex3 for many PS systems, some even spec its usage from the factory. I'm a nerd who also purges brake fluid, diffs, t cases, and high mileage transmissions and guess what? They don't blow up!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Old fluid is nasty fluid. Whether it does or does not measurably shorten life, I am a proponent of changing ALL old fluids as, no matter what it is, it will break down over time. I've used Dex3 for many PS systems, some even spec its usage from the factory. I'm a nerd who also purges brake fluid, diffs, t cases, and high mileage transmissions and guess what? They don't blow up!

I replaced both calipers this year, and sucked out the master cylinder with a turkey baster, and wiped out the reservoir both times. Probably 3 months worth of driving and the second time it was gross again, so even though only a small amount of fluid is moved each time the peddle is pushed it does migrate, and move dirt.

I drained each of the front lines when changing the calipers, so fresh fluid up there now. I'll do the same for the rear when the time comes, and I may start replacing what's in the reservoir on a regular basis, too.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I do the 1500 every year and it's always brown when I do. Funny how new cars stay clean so long.