Power steering flush, filter, and fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Awhile back I decided to buy a Magna-Pure power steering filter. I have yet to install it. I believe it goes into the return line. It just clamps inline. I have a brand new line that I don't think I want to cut, so if I go ahead and use the filter, I'll probably add a short piece of hose. Anyone have one, and then crack it open? What did you find?

The instructions for the filter, and new hoses, both say to flush the system... I need to do it anyway. I've done it sorta.... once before. I used ATF which I now read is not the thing to use, although Redhead Steering Gear tests all their rebuilt boxes with it. I'm tempted just to use ATF again. Right now there is a mix in the system. When I had the box replaced while doing the Pitman, I asked for the fluid to be replaced, but I don't think they did.

If I were to get something labeled "power steering fluid" where would I find it in sufficient quantity for a flush? I have Hydroboost, and a cooler so the system holds a lot, plus old and new mixes. It's not like it can simply be drained and then refilled. When I did it with ATF I bought a couple gallons.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It looks like gallons of power steering fluid are available if I go to the parts store. I almost never buy fluids there because they're more expensive. I can do an online purchase with Advance and get two gallons of Valvoline for under $30. I'm still tempted to use ATF, as I have a couple gallons in the garage,

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been driving for close to 50 years and have never changed P/S fluid. Other than a leaky hose I have never had P/S trouble either. I have always thought of it as something dealers like to do to generate sales. Never even heard of it till about 10 years ago and the dealer told my daughter her Civic with 30,000 miles needed the fluid flushed. It didn't happen.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have been driving for close to 50 years and have never changed P/S fluid. Other than a leaky hose I have never had P/S trouble either. I have always thought of it as something dealers like to do to generate sales. Never even heard of it till about 10 years ago and the dealer told my daughter her Civic with 30,000 miles needed the fluid flushed. It didn't happen.

I typically don't have an issue with it either. I do have leaky hoses now, and the fluid is kind of cloudy. Every company that make a replacement component seems to recommend it, and my brakes depend on it too, so I'm going to do it. I guess the hoses can break down inside.... I'm still going to use a section of old hose to attach the filter if it looks ok inside.

I think I am going to use ATF.... I have two extra pumps, and a Hydroboost unit as backups if it explodes.... and it won't, probably 1/2 of what's in there now is ATF.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If a component in the system fails by all means you would be wise to flush but a system with no problems and not contaminated should not need period flushing.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. ATF used to be suitable for power steering. Not so much any more. ATF has become too specialized (friction modifiers, thinner viscosity, and other chemical changes).

2. If you use hose on the PS system, be sure to use PS Return hose. Fuel hose will not take the heat, and it may not be compatible with the chemicals in the fluid. I get my PS Return hose at NAPA, but any parts store will be able to order it if they don't have it in stock. I think it's 10 or 20 feet in a box. Maybe they'll sell it by-the-foot. My store doesn't.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
1. ATF used to be suitable for power steering. Not so much any more. ATF has become too specialized (friction modifiers, thinner viscosity, and other chemical changes).

It would be Dexron III, not the newer synthetic stuff that is specifically stated not to use as power steering fluid.

2. If you use hose on the PS system, be sure to use PS Return hose. Fuel hose will not take the heat, and it may not be compatible with the chemicals in the fluid. I get my PS Return hose at NAPA, but any parts store will be able to order it if they don't have it in stock. I think it's 10 or 20 feet in a box. Maybe they'll sell it by-the-foot. My store doesn't.

I've already been looking. I didn't see much online. One of the stores has some pre-packaged stuff by Prestone... when did they get into power steering? Autozone supposedly sells it by the foot. I thought Oreilly would but if they do, I couldn't find it online. I think what I'm going to do first is take a look at the old line. If it looks decent, all I want is a short piece..... maybe even a section of the old pressure hose if its not too stiff to be clamped.

I ordered these today:
https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Hose-Clamp-2UTG4

I only need one or two, but they're cheap enough, and I like having clamps on hand.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
While not GM, I've had good results by flushing CII pump equipped Fords, especially the trucks. Can't stand that F'ing noise they make. "ARHHHHHHHH" I use Valvoline type F along with Motorcote and the noise quiets down substantially in those. Never had a problem with GM steering systems though. I do want to flush my truck and did plan on using Dexron III, so glad it seems to be what people run here.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a good feeling about using ANY ATF, including Dex/Merc "Dexron III" or Type F.

Consider this:
https://www.amazon.com/Johnsens-461...0?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1535150469&sr=1-10

I have to use GM/Delco "Cold Climate" PS fluid in my Trailblazer, or the PS whine is unbearable. THAT stuff is hatefully expensive.

I suspect that a section of PS pressure hose will not clamp properly,, given the stiffness inherent in the steel braid built into the hose wall.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dexron 3 is for use in emergencies only if the sticker is still there or if you have an owners manual. Yes, imports schedule the procedure in maintenance by mileage but not really need. Flushing a brake system is more important.

As for filters, ACDelco makes an automatic transmission filter for the return side line that contains a filter, magnet and a by-pass to allow fluid to flow if it gets plugged. Make sure your brand has this by-pass feature. The ACDelco filter will fit the P/S return line, I have one and figure maintenance is done without any flushing in my future.