Possibly moving to FL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may be moving to the Lake Worth, FL area around July/August. My job is moving, and I have the option of going (keeping my position), or staying here in VT and lose my job. I was kind of curious how people like the area, if there is anyone from the area on here. I have only been to FL once, and that was to Disney when I was about 8 - so its been awhile....

So .... Hows everyone like FL ? I may take a flight down in March to check things out, but that is not set in stone yet - the move is however set in stone and I have to make a decision. I will be moving down by myself until my fiancee can come down (wont be until 2013 due to accounting classes). So I will be moving, with only my job, and I won't know anyone down there.

All I know is, its nice and sunny there :)

Also - If I do decide to move I will have to make sure my truck is in top shape to make the 1500mile drive, any suggestions on things to check before hand? The longest I have driven it is about 200miles one way and that 200miles went great, but 1500miles is a lot more then 200miles .... I thought about selling and buying another one down there, but I have put so much work in this and just the sentimental value. It was a project my fiancee and I worked on together, and still a work in progress.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get a u-haul and pull it there.

And I like Florida a lot but it's expensive to live there.

I thought it was cheaper - from what I can find its cheaper then VT. a 2bedroom condo is about $500month, in vermont a 1bedroom apartment shared bathroom and kitchen is about $800month.

As for my fiancee and I, we have a really good relationship, and everything is really well between us. We have our bad times (as every couple does) but we work through it. I have never had to make this hard of a decision before, so I am not really sure what to do/ think. I hope we are both able to go down in March to check things out, we are planning towards it. Also - Hurricanes are common in FL I hear, but nowhere as bad as Irene was in VT from what I researched, anyone know about that? VT made the news with Irene, just because VT and tropical storms almost never happen.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
I guess it's more expensive that mississippi :lol: I'm used to being able to rent a 4 bedroom house for $500 a month. But they do have more tropical storms than other places but that's just part of Florida. One of my aunts has lived there for 10 years with no problem in Jacksonville Beach, FL but my uncle moved there and was only there for 2 years and a hurricane leveled his house, moved all the debri, and sat his neighbor from across the roads house down in his front yard. That was hurricane Ivan.

DieselPower

Reaction score
Lake Worth is a fairly expensive area to buy in, but there's a range of apartment prices so you should be able to find something tolerable. You'll like the weather there, it's pretty pleasant year-round. Coming out of VT, it'll be a bit of a shock, but if you are into palm trees, sunshine, beaches, diving and spending time outdoors, it's pretty decent. Summers can be a bit warm, but once you adapt it's not so bad. Traffic in SoFL can really suck, but you'll be on the northern border of it and away from the real mess. For fun sometime, take a ride up the coast in Palm Beach and check out some of the houses there. Hurricanes only really matter if you are buying a house - you usually get a 3 day warning when one is coming and you can bug out quickly from an apartment. Renter's insurance is cheap and can cover any valuable possessions you leave behind.

1500 miles makes for a reasonable 2 day drive if you aren't towing anything. I made it from Seattle to Tampa in 72 hours once (~3700 miles by way of LA), but that wasn't a reasonable drive at all! Towing adds a bit to the stress, takes away a bit of fuel economy and will make for a longer drive - so take only the items you really want. When the girlfriend joins you, you'll most likely have a ton of other stuff to bring down as well. I'd suggest flying down to scope out the area first a few weeks ahead of time, maybe pick out an apartment and take care of deposits. Does your company offer any moving assistance? That can help when it comes to the extra outflow and the U-Haul situation.

A basic inspection is a good idea before a long drive, check the belt(s), hoses, look for leaks of vital fluids, check tires... It's a good idea to change oil, check the tranny and diff(s) for fluid levels and do any service work that is coming due. Air up the tires, check the brakes. Travel with extra oil, a full gas can won't be a bad idea as well as coolant + water for yourself. Stop every couple of hours to get out and stretch as well as tank up with fuel. Keep the tank 1/2 full, you never know how far the next station will be. Plan on bringing a good MP3 player with lots of music to listen to. Stay hydrated for the drive - it helps to keep alert if you are always watching for the next outhouse!