Port injected intake questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Br1an

Reaction score
Hi all, so I'm currently pricing an engine for my truck, a 1993 Chevy heavy half ton. I'm planning a 383 stroker engine that's going to be using coil near plug ignition using a Speartech Ls1 harness, LS sensors and an EFI Connection kit and I'm looking at a set of AFR heads. I was wondering if anyone has used Weiand's intake manifold #7540, will it work with only Vortec heads or with pretty much any heads. If it only works with Vortec heads, does anyone have a recommendation for an intake that will work for my purposes. I don't want an intake that would use a Throttle body like what's used in FAST's kits because I want the underhood look like an LS but not an LS because I know how a 1st gen small block acts and I don't want to have to learn what's normal for an LS, they seem almost like a different breed than the first generation small block, does that make sense?

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Hi all, so I'm currently pricing an engine for my truck, a 1993 Chevy heavy half ton. I'm planning a 383 stroker engine that's going to be using coil near plug ignition using a Speartech Ls1 harness, LS sensors and an EFI Connection kit and I'm looking at a set of AFR heads. I was wondering if anyone has used Weiand's intake manifold #7540, will it work with only Vortec heads or with pretty much any heads. If it only works with Vortec heads, does anyone have a recommendation for an intake that will work for my purposes. I don't want an intake that would use a Throttle body like what's used in FAST's kits because I want the underhood look like an LS but not an LS because I know how a 1st gen small block acts and I don't want to have to learn what's normal for an LS, they seem almost like a different breed than the first generation small block, does that make sense?

No... that doesn't make sense. The LS and LT engines are light years better than an old small block, even the best Vortec L31.

Vortec small block heads have raised runners. Not sure what AFR heads have for port shape and location, but the head and intake port shape must match.

Br1an

Reaction score
The intake ports on the AFR heads are rectangular, idk if the ones I have an eye on have raised ports or not, if not I can change my plans to match, I haven't ordered anything yet so I'm not too committed to the 1st gen sbc at this stage, although the last time I compared the price of the 383 to an LS3 from Lingenfelter IIRC, the 383 was cheaper by just about $1000

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
If I understand, you want a single plane intake for a set of AFR heads. I'm not going to try to understand the rest because you lost me. AFR makes heads that fit with vortec or old school bolt patterns and port designs. Not sure which heads you're looking at. I'm pretty sure the only vortec specific heads they manufacture are the 190cc variety.

Br1an

Reaction score
I've actually committed now to building an LS3 from a Blueprint Engines short block, and I have to wonder, will I have problems if I try to fit LS7 heads on it? I'm looking at using an intake that to my knowledge is LS7 exclusive but if I can find it for the LS3 I'd be happy...

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Wow, that was quick. Guys usually don't build engines around an intake manifold. JS.