Planning some minor engine changes...Need a little input...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98dieselburb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am planning to change a few things on my 95 TBI 350.

I thought long and hard of the vortec heads, but I really don't wish to have to hunt down special manifolds or use tbi adapters. In the department of the head change, I am thinking L98 heads off a TPI 350. Keep in mind, I am looking for more power than the TBI heads can do, but I am not building a race car either...

Cam choice from what I hear is a cam from a LT1 engine. Yep roller cam. I am just hoping my block is able to be used for the cam. I also read the Melling MTC 1 is a good choice, and should work fine with the TPI heads.

I wanted to get a gear drive, but from what I understand, they don't like the knock sensor very much, so that idea may be dead.

I already have done the TBI mods, and have the Edelbrock 3704 manifold on it. Stock exhaust manifolds as well, but was thinking about shorty headers.

So, at least at this point it seems like lt1 cam, tpi heads, and put her all back together... Any suggestions if I am heading in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Shawn

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been trying to look into a gear drive for my vortec. Maybe if you find a way for your TBI, I can reverse engineer a way for vortec.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your gonna go through the trouble of doing headers do doug's tri-y's or long tubes, shortys are not really worth the trouble dont gain alot with them

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The LT1 B body cam is the same as a stock vortec cam. An upgrade from what you have but not great. The MTC1 is a flat tappet cam, not a roller. It would be a good option if your block isn't ready for a roller. I would run 1.6 roller rockers either way. With 1.6's the B body/vortec cam would be .442 int/.456ex. The MTC1 would be .448 int/.462. L98 heads will typically go up to .480 but as always, check for spring bind and proper geometry. There are other cams that I would run but with your choices that is what I would do.
If it were my build I would look at the Comp 08-302-8. It has a fair amount more duration than your choices (you have a heavy tahoe not a camaro) but is still computer friendly. I would still do roller rockers but they woul have to be 1.5's. If it had to stay flat tappet I would do Comp 12-239-3. It favors the exhaust on the duration and lift but it isn't bad. If you kept your stock exhaust it would be a crutch but if you had better exhaust it would be even better.
The gear drive does make a lot of noise and that is what messes up using the gear drive in tbi. The vortec needs to have the reluctor in front of the crank gear so you can't even run a double roller. The tbi can run a double roller though but once again there is a potential for knock. I use a Cloyes true roller on all of my builds.