Piece of aluminum chipped off my Tbi injector casting and got sucked down my throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95gmcguy

Reaction score
It seemed to run smoothly before I took the keys out. There was no noises or anything that made me think It caused to much damage!

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just never worked on a vehicle with a distributor before so I was seeing if there was any tips. The vehicle is a 95 GMC K2500 with the 7.4L 454

Dare I say "Just do the usual stuff" that's talked-about in the service manuals, i.e.,...

Take pictures of where the rotor is pointing just prior to distributor removal and don't turn the engine(!) until after you've re-installed it. Or, put the engine at TDC / cyl #1 firing prior to removal, that way you have a reference should you need to turn the engine in the process of this fix... just make sure it's back at TDC / cyl #1 firing before re-installing the distributor.

(edit) The "trick" is making sure the oil pump shaft gets lined-up with drive tang in the distributor shaft when it's reinstalled (and you'll know if they aren't lined-up, because the distributor won't sit down on the intake like it should, it'll be 1/4" or so high off the intake manifold). By keeping (or returning) the distributor (and by association, the crankshaft) to the same position as when it was removed you'll have some assurance that, when you re-install the distributor, the tang in the distributor shaft will engage the oil pump shaft readily. It's not the end of the world if you somehow *can't* get the tang to engage; just be methodical... reach down into the distributor hole with a large, long flat-blade screwdriver, engage it with the slot in the oil pump shaft (you'll feel it, trust me), and turn the oil pump until the slot in its shaft is where it needs to be to engage the tang in the distributor. Believe me, you *will* figure out how to do this if you need to; I had to do it once too, and I was totally unprepared but I figured it out. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Last edited:

95gmcguy

Reaction score
Get cheap borescope, look down the intake , then through the spark holes.
Is that right, the engine was running when broke off. Did you witness it go into the intake?
That's my plan tomorrow, and yes the engine was running when it happened I have no clue how it happened or why it chipped off. No I did not witness it go down the intake but I also couldn't find it anywhere inside the air filter or on the ground where it happened.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THIS is a broken hemi... (first three pictures)

What's wrong in these pictures?

- What's missing in cylinder #2?
- There was a piston in that hole when then heads went on, where did it go???
- Why won't the oil pan fit anymore?

The last picture (#4) is a different engine failure. The crank broke in two places and found its way into and through the oil pan. The condition of the rest of the internal parts was, of course, suspect.

Attachments

• IMG_8662.JPG
    IMG_8662.JPG
    474.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8671.JPG
    IMG_8671.JPG
    391.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8665.JPG
    IMG_8665.JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1324.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get cheap borescope, look down the intake , then through the spark holes.
Is that right, the engine was running when broke off. Did you witness it go into the intake?
Definitely try the bore scope, it may have been to big to go through the valve opening and just sitting there bouncing on top of the valve. Always start with a positive outlook.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
THIS is a broken hemi... (first three pictures)

What's wrong in these pictures? What's missing in cylinder #2?

There was a piston in that hole when then heads went on, where did it go???

Why won't the oil pan fit anymore?

The last picture is a different engine failure. The crank broke in two places and found its way into the oil pan.
Looks to have been a high end engine.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
hopefully you did little or no damage. going back to post #16 here is a carnage story back in 2011 or 2012 we had a jet boat with a 460 in it oil could not circulate fast enough a piston granaided another piston had a big chunk in it a connecting rod went out the side of the bock and another connecting rod got twisted like a pretzel when that thing locked up and blew it must have been making a ton of torque because the pin on the end of the cam was twisted/bent/clocked