Paycheck again at 71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
For some reason the link did not come thru. Here it is again. Crap, did it again. I will find another link. Hang tight.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, well anytime I tried to post a link from Amazon for the mats, it would not work. As you can see, the one link from Bi Mart did. Look around, you can find them or order from Bi Mart.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 71 I am what they call, Full Retirement Age. I can work all I want and I get my full social security, even if I made $100k

There's some concern for Medicare to take into consideration, AFAIK.

From SSA: https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare/medicare-premiums.html

"If you have a higher income, you’ll pay an additional premium amount for Medicare Part B and Medicare prescription drug coverage. We call the additional amount the “income-related monthly adjustment amount.”

"You’ll pay monthly Part B premiums equal to 35%, 50%, 65%, 80%, or 85% of the total cost, depending on what you report to the IRS."

Maybe the income thresholds in play here don't / won't apply to you. I didn't know the details myself, it's just something I've heard others talk about so I gave it a quick Google search.

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There's some concern for Medicare to take into consideration, AFAIK.

From SSA: https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare/medicare-premiums.html

"If you have a higher income, you’ll pay an additional premium amount for Medicare Part B and Medicare prescription drug coverage. We call the additional amount the “income-related monthly adjustment amount.”

"You’ll pay monthly Part B premiums equal to 35%, 50%, 65%, 80%, or 85% of the total cost, depending on what you report to the IRS."

Maybe the income thresholds in play here don't / won't apply to you. I didn't know the details myself, it's just something I've heard others talk about so I gave it a quick Google search.
I am not on Medi Care. I am on Medi Share. Too many people think they HAVE to sign up for Medi Care, you do not. I never have. What I don't get taken care of at the VA, my Medi Share takes care of me. The government EFFFF's everything up. I know, I worked for them for 4 years. It is worse now than ever before and eventually there will be a CW. Enough of that. My tax guy/my high school friend, has it all covered and I have no regrets.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, well anytime I tried to post a link from Amazon for the mats, it would not work. As you can see, the one link from Bi Mart did. Look around, you can find them or order from Bi Mart.

For future reference, Amazon and a few other sites will get converted to image links here that are blocked by most ad-blocker software. If you disable your ad-blocker, you'll see them. As 454cid pointed out, if you delete the "https://" from the beginning of the link and start with the "www." they will stay as a standard text link and be visible for everyone.

Georgiabigfoot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it has finally happened. For months I have put the word out that I was interested in running a shop again.

Yesterday I got a call from a 3 bay shop that is in downtown Eugene, Or. that heard word of mouth that I wrench on the side and they want me to move my tools and turn wrenches in their shop. The kicker is this. It is a Monday thru Thursday set up that starts at 9 and goes till 3:30 but can work other days and longer hours if I have a job I want to finish. I also have the right to turn down any job I don't want to work on, for whatever reason. I would diagnose and sell my own work. Big drawback is two things. Moving my tools there and fear of a break in because the shop is right down in the homeless area of the city. The other is no tools at home to do what I want to do for my regular customers that I have built up here. Not gonna take this position. Did talk to the owner and he said that if I need a lift, I can rent shop space and lift in his shop, on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. That is interesting.

Several months ago I applied for a service writer job at a shop. Was told I was over qualified for the Assistant Service Writer position and we parted ways. They did hire a single mother of 3 that had been an insurance claims adjuster but did not work out because of needs for her kids. They called me yesterday and want to hire me. Starts at 7:45 am and open till 5:30. Is in a way better part of town and my tools stay home. At 71, not sure about the obligation of the hours. Plus, as an assistant, the pay is less. Figures out to be around $45k a year. Figures out to be just over $19 an hour or about $865 a week. I know my experience is worth way more and should be in the $60k a year range at least. I am going to have a meeting tomorrow at 4 pm and will approach this with a proposition of a minimum amount on a paycheck and the rest $.

I really like the clientele I have built up here and that I run the whole show and do what I want and turn down what I don't want.
Get busy living or get busy dying, having a job like that at 71 sounds like a great thing. I hope I’m able and capable at 71 to do such and you will have extra scratch to buy more gmt400’s.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Get busy living or get busy dying, having a job like that at 71 sounds like a great thing. I hope I’m able and capable at 71 to do such and you will have extra scratch to buy more gmt400’s.
My dad still works and he'll be 86 in April. He works full time at an exclusively private golf club in the pro shop (usually up by 4:30 on days he works). He also plays golf 2-3 time a week when not working. He takes ZERO meds for anything! The work has certainly kept him busy and fit.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was bored yesterday while watching a show on tv. I, for some reason, counted all the scabbed over little knicks on both my hands that were from working on vehicles lately. Lucky number 13 of them. I am asked by my girl and others, "Why don't you just wear the nitrile gloves"? I cannot feel what my fingers/hands are touching when I use the gloves. I hate when removing a bolt or nut, in a blind area, and it drops and then I have to do a search. Seems to fall 50% of the time in to a hidden crevice or hole or hit the floor and roll 30 feet away. If I don't wear gloves and hold my tongue just right, I usually don't have to worry about the "DROP".