Paycheck again at 71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My dad still works and he'll be 86 in April. He works full time at an exclusively private golf club in the pro shop (usually up by 4:30 on days he works). He also plays golf 2-3 time a week when not working. He takes ZERO meds for anything! The work has certainly kept him busy and fit.
The work keeps me active, doing what I like to do, and puts mad money in my pocket. I just used some of that cash yesterday, giving my upholstery guy $150 up front money for the headliner work on her 1990 K2500.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I was bored yesterday while watching a show on tv. I, for some reason, counted all the scabbed over little knicks on both my hands that were from working on vehicles lately. Lucky number 13 of them. I am asked by my girl and others, "Why don't you just wear the nitrile gloves"? I cannot feel what my fingers/hands are touching when I use the gloves. I hate when removing a bolt or nut, in a blind area, and it drops and then I have to do a search. Seems to fall 50% of the time in to a hidden crevice or hole or hit the floor and roll 30 feet away. If I don't wear gloves and hold my tongue just right, I usually don't have to worry about the "DROP".
Same! I never wear gloves either for the same reasons . I can retire from teaching in three years and I’ll find something to keep me active. I can’t sit around and do nothing.

You must be registered for see images attach

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I told the guy that owns the shop in a bad part of town, that I will turn down the job because I don't want my tools there. Turns out he has another shop in another better part of town, that is an old 2 bay service station. I said, Ok, I will go by there and check it out. It is a big NO GO because he still has 2 in ground lifts. Too bad, because the shop had a big lot and was in a better part of the town.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Same! I never wear gloves either for the same reasons . I can retire from teaching in three years and I’ll find something to keep me active. I can’t sit around and do nothing.

This is some of both hands. Here is what I was counting:

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I told the guy that owns the shop in a bad part of town, that I will turn down the job because I don't want my tools there. Turns out he has another shop in another better part of town, that is an old 2 bay service station. I said, Ok, I will go by there and check it out. It is a big NO GO because he still has 2 in ground lifts. Too bad, because the shop had a big lot and was in a better part of the town.

What's wrong with inground lifts? I'll admit, I was at a shop getting a vehicle worked on once, when the lift suddenly dropped some. I think I broke the sound barrier getting out from under it. The mechanic said it did it all the time. :eek: I was probably about 20 or 21.

I suppose it's physically in the way of getting work done.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get busy living or get busy dying, having a job like that at 71 sounds like a great thing. I hope I’m able and capable at 71 to do such and you will have extra scratch to buy more gmt400’s.

You got that right. My whole goal with 'retirement' is to both do more...and less.

More on the 'get to do' list. And a whole let less on the 'gotta do' list.

If I get this retirement thing wrong, I'll be forced to work on other people's problems,
on their timetable, whether I want to do another brake job on a rust-belt hoopty
w/blown lines or not.

But if I get it right, I'll spend my time at the flowbench, answering questions I've been
carrying around for years & years. Or driving the chore truck to various Treasure Yards
looking for a rare L21 powerplant in order to make it better than new and use it for
a tasteful chore truck upgrade. On my timetable.

Both clear the 'get busy living' threshold. But if I drive an old GMT400 I paid cash for, and
thereby get to work on my own stuff vs being pushed by a new car payment into filling
my eyes with others people's rust? That's a no brainer.

But then again I bore easy, so sitting around isn't a choice...
:)

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What's wrong with inground lifts? I'll admit, I was at a shop getting a vehicle worked on once, when the lift suddenly dropped some. I think I broke the sound barrier getting out from under it. The mechanic said it did it all the time. :eek: I was probably about 20 or 21.

I suppose it's physically in the way of getting work done.
I have not only seen them drop but have also seen them go up and then all of a sudden, at the last 6" to 12" shoot up hard and bounce the car/truck. Plus limited access. Spent too many years doing that. Not gonna do that any more.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several months ago I applied for a service writer job at a shop. Was told I was over qualified for the Assistant Service Writer position and we parted ways. They did hire a single mother of 3 that had been an insurance claims adjuster but did not work out because of needs for her kids. They called me yesterday and want to hire me... Plus, as an assistant, the pay is less. Figures out to be around $45k a year. Figures out to be just over $19 an hour or about $865 a week. I know my experience is worth way more and should be in the $60k a year range at least. I am going to have a meeting tomorrow at 4 pm and will approach this with a proposition of a minimum amount on a paycheck and the rest $.
About 2 hours ago got a call from the shop owner that was wanting me to be an assistant advisor. They still had an ad up at "indeed" and a girl applied that would take less money and had some experience and so she was hired and he told me that I did not need to show
I'm a little late to the conversation, but I have a strong opinion on this. You do not want to work for these clowns. Twenty-five years ago my service writers were making $45k. Now $45k is entry-level and even McDonald's is paying $12 an hour. They're looking at service writers as an expense, and not as an asset. They won't hire you because they can't threaten you with firing you. Next time they call you, tell them they don't sound competent and you aren't interested in working with amateur management.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I say, why give up the autonomy your current situation provides? That's really the icing on the cake.

I work for a company, I'm an employee, but my position has a pretty good degree of autonomy. As long as I produce, and quickly cover the occasional call-outs that pop up, there's no complaints from management. It's a **** job (car snatcher) that is often risky but the pay reflects that.

Being able to work all night without anybody breathing down my neck or looking over my shoulder is a beautiful thing. Years ago I made "shift supervisor" but it's really just a formality in case someone needs a judgement call. Pretty much all our guys are pros and know what they're doing and why they're in our trucks instead of in someone else's; they don't need any babysitting. I left all that crap behind years ago.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I quit looking and will deal with it if it comes. Happy working on my stuff and my girl's truck and whatever the neighbors have. My neighbor across the street has a low mileage 2014 F150 he likes. Has oiling problems but wants to keep. Am taking it to my friends shop a few miles away. I will be there for a few days, pulling the transmission and sending out for a rebuild at the top shop in town and a Ford crate engine is already sitting there and all kinds of new items to add to it. What I want to do and don't answer to a boss.