Paycheck again at 71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're only as old you feel. I'm not sure I could fully retire if my I was still on top of my game. There's definitely stuff I would turn down though.

It's been a while since I looked at it, but I seem to recall that over a certain income social security is taxed pretty heavily. You might want to look into that.
It not a lot, I think currently like 14-15k a year before ss become taxable but it been awhile since I looked at all that stuff, lots of info on SS site, mygov.com. or whatever it is. State income tax may play in as well. Whether retirement contributions were pre or post tax Ira's may also be a factor with rmd's and such. Being on SSD some it applies to me and some doesn't for me. Big misconception you can't work in another capacity on ssd.

Being in his shoes it would be only be on my terms. Might get up one day and want to say scew -it I'm going fishing or spending afternoon with a loved one, whatever. Once you obligate that's all gone. I've been in "I'll let you use my shop situations" It always ends returning favors with no hope of being on the winning side of things. You're the best tech I have, I don't trust the others, would you do me a favor, look at and take of my wife's car Saturday or Sunday while you're here? type crap.

2-3 days a week to handle some non back-breaking overflow work. I'm not doing in chassis cylinder head jobs etc. kind of thing. Shop foreman/work dispatcher Qc guy. etc.
@OP
These days the writer needs to write a few things, get the job in(committed), and off to the tech it goes for further diagnostics/teardown, and then bigger bill. They don't need a high dollar knowledgeable front man that oversells it and loses the job. Dealerships usually pay writers base salary + monthy sales commission. It's a different industry these days, and writers make decnt money for the little they know. Thats what you're competing against for basically a sales position, unfortunately. Normally like a 40-45k base and some small percentage of sales in these auto busy upscale-ish metro areas around here.

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It not a lot, I think currently like 14-15k a year before ss become taxable but it been awhile since I looked at all that stuff, lots of info on SS site, mygov.com. or whatever it is. State income tax may play in as well. Whether retirement contributions were pre or post tax Ira's may also be a factor with rmd's and such. Being on SSD some it applies to me and some doesn't for me. Big misconception you can't work in another capacity on ssd.

Being in his shoes it would be only be on my terms. Might get up one day and want to say scew -it I'm going fishing or spending afternoon with a loved one, whatever. Once you obligate that's all gone. I've been in "I'll let you use my shop situations" It always ends returning favors with no hope of being on the winning side of things. You're the best tech I have, I don't trust the others, would you do me a favor, look at and take of my wife's car Saturday or Sunday while you're here? type crap.

2-3 days a week to handle some non back-breaking overflow work. I'm not doing in chassis cylinder head jobs etc. kind of thing. Shop foreman/work dispatcher Qc guy. etc.
@OP
These days the writer needs to write a few things, get the job in(committed), and off to the tech it goes for further diagnostics/teardown, and then bigger bill. They don't need a high dollar knowledgeable front man that oversells it and loses the job. Dealerships usually pay writers base salary + monthy sales commission. It's a different industry these days, and writers make decnt money for the little they know little. Thats what you're competing against for basically a sales position. Unfortunately. Normally like a 40-45k base and some small percentage of sales in these auto busy upscale metro areas around here.
It's $14k where the taxable starts.

My friend and I have talked about how the work would be divided up. I would be mainly there to answer phones and schedule but also as an extra hand when needed and to do the simple jobs like LOF and flushes and such. I know that I will spend a lot of time at the parts washer but that is ok with me. I would be able to sit and do that and not have to stand all day. It is strictly a part time and 2-3 days and 4-5 hours. Sometimes less. If I want to take off with my girl, he is ok with that. If it all falls to s*h*i*t, well we part as friends.

The service advisor part, I think is what ****** me off the most. I know my worth and if a shop does not care about my experience and knowledge, that lets me know that the quality is likely not there either.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I want to take off with my girl, he is ok with that.
do what? lol

It's not about your value or technical ability, it's more about a changed industry. If it's a friend of yours then likely a bit of a different situation than knocking on doors. It he's willing to pay what you're demander go for it. They can or he can get a secretary to answer phones/schedule and a flunky to run a parts cleaner and sweep the floors, Your looking for a managers type salary because that's what you think it's worth, not saying your wrong or anything but trying to apply it to a part time gig restricted to light duty/restrictions in which it doesn't sound like you would be functioning as management doesn't warrant the same pay levels.. I understand where your coming from but from a business perspective you're placing yourself in not the best bang for the buck category.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get it now. No, this 71 year old old fart does not swing that way or any other weird ass way.
I'm sure your not but not trying to take away from your skills or technical abilities, normally I take the techs side. Kinda find myself in same situation when trying to make a few bucks on the down low. The minute I say a few days a week or I might be able to do a fews days and need a day off to recoup, Not doing frame machine heavies etc.. .... all the rules and pay changes.