Paycheck again at 71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with your respect towards your customers. If they understand what you are doing, and why you are doing it, then you build a trust that they will pass on to others. You clearly have the right attitude to maintain a successful business from home so that may be just what works out best for you.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I totally agree with your respect towards your customers. If they understand what you are doing, and why you are doing it, then you build a trust that they will pass on to others. You clearly have the right attitude to maintain a successful business from home so that may be just what works out best for you.
Because there is no rust here in the PNW, if I could ever get some form of a lift, it would be Nirvana, and I could work from home indefinitely. My girl likes to see me happy and she is always willing to help in the shop. She grew up always helping her dad in his home shop. She was a TomBoy. That is why, in another thread, I am doing some work on her truck in my membership pic. Took the headliner out yesterday and getting it recovered and the visors too. Replaced a dash panel that was crap. All new headlights, front turn signal lights, rear turn signal lights and putting in new transmission cooling lines. Then, when I can find a new replacement, I am going to install a working OE dash radio and cassette player/equalizer. She deserves it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, it was implied that concrete support is rebar and that the concrete would be thicker as well. Yea, for all we know, that section of concrete could have been a former office floor and that was a part of the building that did not get as thick of concrete pour and not enough concrete rebar. They just knocked down some walls and added a lift. Whoever installed the lift should be shot and someone that was in charge, should have thought of what is needed for a lift. A 4 post would have been ok.
Rebar is by far the strongest and most widely used concrete reinforcement method. Wire and fiber work for light duty, but they mainly help with cracking. No competent engineer would spec either of them for that job. The cement ratio in the mix matters for strength as well. Footers needed to be dug and poured much deeper.
If it was a converted existing slap they should have jackhammered the slab where the lift was going, dug the footers as above, drilled the sides of the existing slab for rebar, and poured the footers.
I wouldn't put a 4 post on anything less than a 6" slab. When it was me I went 12"
In a previous version of my life I drove concrete trucks, I learned a few things along the way lol.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It really sounds like you've got the ideal situation already - minus a lift to make it sweeter. Calling your own hours and choosing your own jobs, plus no commute, and all your own tools right there at your disposal without worry of others digging into them or them disappearing down to the local pawn shops for drug money. The convenience of popping into your own home for a break, lunch, snack, or whatever.

Do you have a space at your current rental to plunk a 4 post lift down?

The portable lifts are "OK"; my buddy had one of the SnapOn hydraulic ones that was reasonably useful. It has arms that extend out with lift pads so that the suspension can hang free like a 2 post lift, making it useful for that type of work where a 4 post obviously limits you in that application - tire rotation, brakes, suspension, etc.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would prefer the 4 post with the two sliding cross bars that have jacks on them. But that is just a dream. Unfortunately, there is not enough room here for any lift, other than the portable lifts.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It really sounds like you've got the ideal situation already - minus a lift to make it sweeter. Calling your own hours and choosing your own jobs, plus no commute, and all your own tools right there at your disposal without worry of others digging into them or them disappearing down to the local pawn shops for drug money. The convenience of popping into your own home for a break, lunch, snack, or whatever.

Do you have a space at your current rental to plunk a 4 post lift down?

The portable lifts are "OK"; my buddy had one of the SnapOn hydraulic ones that was reasonably useful. It has arms that extend out with lift pads so that the suspension can hang free like a 2 post lift, making it useful for that type of work where a 4 post obviously limits you in that application - tire rotation, brakes, suspension, etc.

Richard
It really is a perfect set up here. My landlord is like my "mechanical work pimp". He has 3 vehicles. His son has 2. Lady next door and daughter have 3. Neighbor across street has 3. Where I eat tacos on Tuesday and Thursday there is 4 vehicles from there. Another neighbor down at end of street has 2. My landlord has golf buddies and so far I have 4 vehicles from them. Plus my own 3 vehicles here. That is a group of 24 so far. I do pretty good and can take off with my girl when I want to. I would kill for a lift though but I will make do, unless I get the perfect set up as an advisor/writer/manager.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This is the style he had being discussed on the Garage Journal site, so you might get some ideas on pros/cons from the thread. His was the "open deck" style of the two pictured. The electric over hydraulic unit that powers it has two wheels on it and you tilt it back with the handle, has a peg that hooks into the lowered lift so you can move it around on its built-in casters.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My question is, how are you going to feel working at home now knowing a lift was offered?
Seems to me you have a good set-up as it is but there's temptation in the other offer. Can the two be merged?
My plan is to talk to him today, again. He said that when the shop is closed on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, he rents the shop out and lifts can be used. If he does that, does every renter bring a box of tools? Since he knows my qualifications, he may be willing to let me use his tools on those 3 days. If I was to work there on the normal 4 days the shop is open, he would want me to have my tools there and that neighborhood is not where I would leave my tools. He is a nice enough guy, so I will ask about his tools. he may want to RENT them on those 3 days. depends on price. The 4 days work with only 6.5 hours and work flow control and selling my own work and taking days off when I want, would be ideal, in a different location.