Passlock tuned out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else had there passlock tuned out? Just wanted to get feedback on this. I just had mine done.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long ago was that? And who did it if you don't mind me asking. Seems to me that is really the only way to bypass the passlock is have it tuned out.

mistaake

Reaction score
is there a good reason to do this? i have owned 3 vehicles with passlock (07 colorado, 02 envoy, 99 suburban) and NEVER had an issue *knock on wood* and i'd much rather my truck not get stolen...

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's not much of a theft deterrent. Any experienced thief can get right past it by forcing the lock or whatever other means they have.

When it starts having problems, it can drive you absolutely nuts trying to fix it. In the meantime you never know if it's going to start when you need it, or go into antitheft shutdown; the system becomes intermittent and totally unpredictable.

Not everyone ends up experiencing Passlock problems, but for those who do...it's often downhill from there until they get it tuned out. Replacing tumblers, TDM's, jacking with connections, sitting through countless relearns...and for some unfortunate folks, spending stupid money on bypass modules that end up not working either, because the problem is inherent in the system - failure to read the proper resistance value because of extra resistance throughout the connections/devices in the system.

Richard

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I had an issue with mine a few years ago. did the resistor deal and had no more problems till the other day on the way back from Ga to Fl and it did it to me again. Didn't know about the relearn deal at the time and came home on the rollback. After much research online I found that is the best way to take care of it was the tune. plus you get your truck tuned. plus it is cheaper than the module that doesn't work.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yup I had mine turned off when I had the truck tuned.

Yeah I had an issue with mine a few years ago. did the resistor deal and had no more problems till the other day on the way back from Ga to Fl and it did it to me again. Didn't know about the relearn deal at the time and came home on the rollback. After much research online I found that is the best way to take care of it was the tune. plus you get your truck tuned. plus it is cheaper than the module that doesn't work.

You guys that had your Passlock tuned out, can you please mention who you used for the tuning? Trying to help someone else find a tuner that can do this and works with pre-LS stuff. Thanks.

Richard

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
My computer is currently with Sinister Performance to get tuned, deleting monitors and passlock, etc. I sent a computer for a relative's S10 to get tuned 2 weeks ago as well, and everything worked out great with that. His prices are very reasonable too.