Passlock Bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Well, if we're gonna split technical hairs, anything 91-up with the 4L80E, or 93-up with 4L60E/4L80E, would have a PCM, not an ECM.

And depending on what reference you look at, 98-up has a "BCM" of sorts - or at least that's where they're telling you the TDM (theft deterrent module) is contained, as part of the Passlock system.

Sorry for the semi-sidetrack..

Richard

Your correct. I'm used to calling them ECM because my 88, and both the 99 K2500 and 98 K3500 have NV4500s so i've always reffered to them as ECM as they don't do anything transmission related.

Not sure what reference has called it a BCM, I've not seen it. Everything I've seen calls it a EVO / Passlock module. Only BCM references are to the BCM on the "luxury" models (escalade / denali).

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
Just curious, what years of the C/K series had PassLock? I can't find a clear answer on google and this seems like a good place to ask since I'd like to know if this would ever be an issue with my 96.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I have seen it before on a 97, must have been a late 97, didn think to look at the build date on it. Most 97s don't have it and all 98-up do. Easiest way to tell is to look and see if a light that says "security" pops up on the cluster during the bulb check when you first turn the key on. Its in the upper right corner.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have seen it before on a 97, must have been a late 97, didn think to look at the build date on it.
What would be more telling is the 10th digit in the VIN. I can just about assure the truck was not a 1997 model. "Security" lamp position in the dash cluster isn't indicative of the system being present in the truck. The difference in the column, tumbler, wiring harness, inclusion of the module, etc. would be the dead giveaways.

Richard

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I did the bypass and my security light is still on. Any help?

Originally the security light has been on intermittently and twice in three days my truck would not start without doing the relearn procedure, so I did the bypass as outlined.

Reaction score
I would like to point out that GMT400 trucks (aside from the escalades/denalis in 99-00) do not have a Body Control Module. They just have a ECM.

Also, not all passlock issues are related to the column sensor. If you have the "Security" light solid on and wont turn off, or it doesn't illuminate at all, then you likely have a problem with the passlock module. It's located under the Slave CD/storage pocket and a real pain to get to. In 98+ trucks, the passlock and EVO steering are in the same module. The 1500, 2500/3500 trucks all have different part numbers for the passlock module. I went through 2 of them in my 99 K2500 because the truck had some interesting electrical issues and they failed. Column switch had no problems.
I am curious... You mention "interesting" electrical issues. I am having them too it seems. My door locks keep locking and unlocking unless I remove the circuit breaker. I've been told it is the BCM and finding information on just where this is located has been quite confusing. Can you help me with this issue for my 98 K1500?