Passenger side door power lock actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyz7195

Reaction score
When l pressed the switch on the passenger side of my 95 k1500 it doesn't lock the door,unless l lock the passenger side manually with key.l can hear it clicking it won't lock it.l have a replaced switch and new ac delco actuator.still nothing really.when l press the switch on driver side it to locks both doors,l can't get power from passenger side lock both doors.What could it be?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
When l pressed the switch on the passenger side of my 95 k1500 it doesn't lock the door,unless l lock the passenger side manually with key.l can hear it clicking it won't lock it.l have a replaced switch and new ac delco actuator.still nothing really.when l press the switch on driver side it locks both doors,l can't get power from passenger side lock both doors.
I've heard/read that if one switch is bad, neither one will work.
On my 97 crew cab, the front passenger door would only lock with the key, not the door handle slider. Was that way when I got the truck.
Recently that door decided it would not lock with the key either! When the power locks work(infrequently on this truck) all four doors would lock and unlock with either door switch. The switches act dead, but after swapping out the passenger side one with one I got out of a nice burb at the yard, I can get it to click , but the locks still don't work. After the trip to the yard, to explore how the doors work, and further work on my truck, I discovered that the actuator on that door has frozen in the "unlock" position. The lock rod from the slider to the latch has a short vertical arm on it, that goes into the actuator linkage. By popping that rod out of the linkage, and lubing the moving parts with white lithium grease, I am now able to lock the door or unlock it, with the key or slider(I replaced the inside handle assembly, it had something broken inside the slider).
Here's some pictures to help explain how it works:

Attachments

• IMG_20240416_140425122.jpg
    IMG_20240416_140425122.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240416_135736686.jpg
    IMG_20240416_135736686.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240416_135807128.jpg
    IMG_20240416_135807128.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240416_133237244~2.jpg
    IMG_20240416_133237244~2.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240416_135726414.jpg
    IMG_20240416_135726414.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 4

chevyz7195

Reaction score
I've heard/read that if one switch is bad, neither one will work.
On my 97 crew cab, the front passenger door would only lock with the key, not the door handle slider. Was that way when I got the truck.
Recently that door decided it would not lock with the key either! When the power locks work(infrequently on this truck) all four doors would lock and unlock with either door switch. The switches act dead, but after swapping out the passenger side one with one I got out of a nice burb at the yard, I can get it to click , but the locks still don't work. After the trip to the yard, to explore how the doors work, and further work on my truck, I discovered that the actuator on that door has frozen in the "unlock" position. The lock rod from the slider to the latch has a short vertical arm on it, that goes into the actuator linkage. By popping that rod out of the linkage, and lubing the moving parts with white lithium grease, I am now able to lock the door or unlock it, with the key or slider(I replaced the inside handle assembly, it had something broken inside the slider).
Here's some pictures to help explain how it works:
I see l get a click and thats it from passenger side.when l press switch from passenger side.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I see l get a click and thats it from passenger side.when l press switch from passenger side.
I don't know for sure that the replacement switch is good or bad, but the original one broke apart when I got it loose from the wiring harness. I still have to swap out the driver's side switch, got one at the yard but haven't installed it yet.
Something else I learned: the manual lock door works exactly like the power lock door, just without the actuator attached to the link rod.

chevyz7195

Reaction score
I don't know for sure that the replacement switch is good or bad, but the original one broke apart when I got it loose from the wiring harness. I still have to swap out the driver's side switch, got one at the yard but haven't installed it yet.
Something else I learned: the manual lock door works exactly like the power lock door, just without the actuator attached to the link rod.
Yah true it does,l can lock door just fine with a key.just not with switch on passenger side.l got new switch and a good original switch from junkyard and put new actuator still nothing at all.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Yah true it does,l can door just fine with a key.just not with switch on passenger side.l got new switch and a good original switch from junkyard and put new actuator still nothing at all.
Have you replaced the inside handle assembly? That was one of the problems/broken parts on my truck. Original owner bought it for his farm/ranchette in central Texas, and we've probably used the power locks (and locks period) way more than he did.
It's easy to do, if you've replaced the actuator you have the skills and tools. Just drill the rivet out and you can slide it out from the slots holding the tabs.

chevyz7195

Reaction score
Have you replaced the inside handle assembly? That was one of the problems/broken parts on my truck. Original owner bought it for his farm/ranchette in central Texas, and we've probably used the power locks (and locks period) way more than he did.
It's easy to do, if you've replaced the actuator you have the skills and tools. Just drill the rivet out and you can slide it out from the slots holding the tabs.
The door handle is cracked,haven't replaced the door handle from outside on door.only replaced the power lock actuator from inside and switch.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
The door handle is cracked,haven't replaced the door handle from outside on door.only replaced the power lock actuator from inside and switch.
The inside handle assembly, that has the metal handle you pull on to open the door, and the slider that locks and unlocks the door manually from the inside....many videos on YouTube about how to do this.
Screenshots from Rock Auto, looking up the parts I replaced on my truck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240429-220914.png
    Screenshot_20240429-220914.png
    534.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240429-220938.png
    Screenshot_20240429-220938.png
    410.2 KB · Views: 3

chevyz7195

Reaction score
The inside handle assembly, that has the metal handle you pull on to open the door, and the slider that locks and unlocks the door manually from the inside....many videos on YouTube about how to do this.
Screenshots from Rock Auto, looking up the parts I replaced on my truck.
I see naw l haven't replaced that,nothing broken on it.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I see naw l haven't replaced that,nothing broken on it.
Might be something inside that isn't obvious... that's how it was on my crew cab.
Usually what breaks on these, is the handle you pull to open the door, twists and eventually breaks. Then the door won't open from the inside. I had to replace all four on my Suburban a couple years ago, because this happened.