Panhard bar with leaf springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah, i got you, when I get off and have an extra set of eyes I'll check that out. Whatd your new rear end run you? I'm actually looking for one with 3.73s and positrac and they're wanting 1200 from lkq for a reman

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it something you can do fairly easy as a first timer? Dude that built my tranny showed me a kit with an eaton, gears, and seals for 680 said he'd do it for an even 8 one weekend when I have the money.

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll have to check it out, thanks for all the info gentlemen.

Reaction score
Traction bars are for wheel hop...
But usually better tires will stop wheel hop on a GM vehicle. Has on every one I've ever owned..

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's caused by flex, resulting in lose of traction..
Leaf spring flex (unless your missing a few, or they are half rusted away.. I doubt).
Or tall tires, skinny tires, low air pressure, to much air pressure...
And if you spin your wheel and keep doing it even tho it's hopping... It fkd up your gears...
Not vise versa.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Leaf Springs Rear Suspension System

The leaf springs rear suspension. The oldest and probably simplest suspension system out there.
The leaf springs locate the rear end in the chassis and support the weight of the vehicle. Most all car companies have used them at one time or another. They're still standard on some models today.

You must be registered for see images attach
Advantages: It works well, rides well, and is about the cheapest suspension system there is. Many older vehicles are already equipped with them. Hey, no need to re-invent the wheel... It's cheap and easy to update them, and for most street use and some performance driving, they can't be beat...
Disadvantages: Sometimes limited in terms of serious racing. Extreme cornering can lead to some lateral movement, although changing out the bushings to better aftermarket ones will usually cure it. In exteme cases, you can also use a panhard bar or Watt's link to keep the axle from moving side to side.
Sometimes during hard acceleration on the drag strip, the axle can cause the leaf springs to twist into an 'S' shape. As the spring snaps back, it can cause wheel hop. One way to fix this is to use traction or 'slapper' bars. Another method is to use the 'Caltrac' style traction bars. There are a lot of seriously fast cars on the track running leaf springs, so they work well...

You must be registered for see images attach