Painting Diesel bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so I have my LMC Diesel Bumper to put onto my 96 1500 rcsb. It came "electrostatically primered' in black. I'm just gonna give it a real good clean down and start spraying my primary color.. Is this stupid?! I want to paint it a Satin black and then I guess clear it in something non glossy. Any suggestions?

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i didnt know you could clear something and it not be glossy?? ive been paintin and doing body work on my stuff for about a year and ive never seen such a clear?

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh no paint expert here man, I've had some pretty "Fail" attempts at painting but have gotten good enough to feel confident enough to paint a bumper and a grille. I've heard of a few clear coat style or top style coats that claim to be clear and non glossy just a protective layer I guess. But I've never seen any in person...

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure I'm going to have a professional do the painting, I want to do it right the first time around. Just going to bring him the parts and drop them off.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i damn sure aint a paint expert niether haha. dont pay an expert to do it lol. go to harber frieght and buy a $15 gun and order you a pint of paint and a pint of clear. mix the paint 1/2 paint and 1/2 thinner, and mix the clear 4 parts clear and 1 part hardener. i didnt think i could do it the first time i tried either. turns out i couldnt lol. painted the whole side of a car and it turned out HORRIBLE! just take your time. the paint is the easiest part. just mix it and strain it into the cup. kind of fog the bumper over till its almost fully covered. then go back over it with a thick coat maybe 2 times but make sure not to run the paint. the clear sounds easy but its runs way to easy. just mix it strain it and pour it in like you did the paint. but with this you want to fog it over it 1 time and then do 2-3 coats really thick just try not to run the clear. if you do its no big deal you can just wet sand it out later. it saves ALOT of money doing stuff yourself. ive painted several things myself and it turned out great just make sure to take your time with it. sorry for the long post just thought i would put that out there before you spent alot of money getting **** painted.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can buy flat clear. It still protects the paint, but shine like most clears. You could also just do it in a single stage enamel which is more like tractor paint.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they make a single stage satin black also they make a satin clear i think dupont ,rm paint and one other company make it

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok cool, I'll be doing this tomorrow. Went to tampa for the going coastal kenny chesney zac brown concert ha.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Pretty sure I'm going to have a professional do the painting, I want to do it right the first time around. Just going to bring him the parts and drop them off.

Your best bet is to have a pro do it, that's what I'm doing with the W/T smoothie I found, Im doing all the sanding, filling and priming.

Also, you might want to do something about that signature, I think the limit is like 600x185, or at least something of similar dimensions.