P1345 code trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1sickcrewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck keeps throwing code p1345. Crankshaft/camshaft correlation code. Ses light has been on since I bought truck. Have replaced both parts and erase code and code pops up within seconds again. Any info on how to fix this and remove ses light??

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tell us year, make(gmc or chevy, i know there technically the same but my system seperates them)and model and motor... I'm at work and can look up the code in our system but those are the need to knows so I can....

sent from what use to be a great country...

Last edited:

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked under a 97 gmc 5.7... for the heck of it... most of what I'm seeing is that the distributer was indexed wrong. Or the distributer is bad or someone put in a V6 distributer in the v8....lol.. for the hell of it check under your rotor on the distributer and make sure it has an 8 imprinted on it and not a 6...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any other symptoms other then the code???

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need a scanner than can run the camshaft retard offset test so that you can properly set the distributor. Should cure the problem.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As SAATR said it's possible the cam retard is not correctly set. This will be because someone either thought they could simply adjust the timing like pre-Vortec where you just turn the distributor while watching the timing mark...nope...or possibly stabbed wrong while replacing bad original intake gaskets Vortec small blocks are so notorious for. HOWEVER...do note, it generally has to be way out of adjustment before you ever see that code. I've seen cam retard way off with no P1345.

Another possible cause, and very likely, is simply distributor wear. They get sloppy at the top end (also at the bottom, many had improperly hardened distributor gears and they wear out real bad, real soon) and let the rotor flop around, screwing up everything. Take the cap off and try moving the rotor/shaft side to side. If it won't move, turn it and it may pop up a little, then try moving it side to side while it's popped up. If you can move it sideways really any noticeable amount at all, that distributor is shot.

To set your existing, or new distributor, you will need a scanner capable of reading cam retard. Before you ever pull a Vortec distributor make 2 marks, both the distributor body position, and rotor position. Install the new distributor in the same position. Then, use scanner to fine-tune cam retard by holding RPM's to 1,000 while adjusting distributor until you get it to zero, at least within +/- 2 degrees of it.

Richard

1sickcrewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a 2000 gmc sierra classic. 5.7 vortec motor. Truck is running pretty good, just doesnt feel as strong as my other vortec trucks. And if course ses light is on and that annoys me. Lol.

1sickcrewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So it doesn't matter where distributor teeth line up? There's no way it will work unless scanner is used to set the timing?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can get it "close enough" to run well without a scanner, but you NEED a scanner to get it 100% correct. It can still be a long way off proper adjustment and not set the check engine light. That's kind of why I tend to think P1345 is usually distributor wear, because for it to just be the cam retard adjustment it has to be WAY off.

Richard