P0740 code.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the trans is slipping, it's in trouble.

If this is a problem like the bulletin shows, in "limp home" mode going forward, it should be in 3rd gear. You'd have really-crappy acceleration, and the converter would be working pretty hard--but short trips should be OK.
Hummm, wonder if I could manually shift, into 1st. Well, I have the weekend to fool with it.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, no way. I can't afford that, rite now. IMO, I think the trans is fine. It's an electrical issue. At least I hope, and way.
Well, I am having thoughts of salling my truck. Between the Vette, and the truck, I just can't keep up with it all. Damn I need to retire. February can't get here fast enough.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back a while ago I had a daily with 4l60e stuck in 3rd gear due bad internal seal. Remained half daily for two more years until had a chance to fix it. Just took it easy.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, this is what I don't understand. Why isn't the tach, and speedo not working. This just started when the CEL came on.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Update, success. It was the ingotion switch. Truck is back up and running like it should be again, and I also got the Corvette back up and running too. Fresh rear end rebuild, on the Vette.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I did that retire thing. I'm working harder now, than before. Don't retire to a farm.
I live in a small city. About 180,000 people, but the metro area is around 650,000, and Lafayette it the biggest area. Lots of small towns around here. Once I retire, I will have plenty to keep me busy. My wife has been writing that honey do list, for years,,, LOL. But really, I have a bunch of home improvements to do, and then, there is the 1979 Corvette to keep me busy, along with the 97 Silverado.