P0340 Replaced Sensor, No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexHoopes

Reaction score
I have a 98 Chevy silverado, the other night while driving it was very slow to respond to my gas pedal, became really sluggish, stalled a few times until I eventually stalled out on the side of the road and wouldn’t start. Checked my codes it read P0340, camshaft sensor, so I replaced the camshaft sensor today, cleared the code, and still no dice. I checked the connector with a multimeter and it is reading around 11.6V Engine cranks, but does not start. Looking for any advice, thank you

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had this happen a few months back. When you crank, is there any oil pressure? Sounds like you may need to replace the distributor gear.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, that rules out the distributor gear. Verify that distributor is aligned with #1 cylinder when at TDC on compression stroke. Could be a skipped tooth on the distributor, or a skipped tooth on the timing chain.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
When you replaced your cam sensor and reset the code, did it throw a P1345 - cam/crank correlation code?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aside from having or not having a P1345, verify cam offset.

What is the fuel pressure?

Have you checked for spark at the spark plug end of the plug wires? Start with #3, but check several unless #3 fails to produce spark.

Have you verified that the plugs aren't worn/fouled?

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Also, do you know the last time the fuel filter has been replaced? Has the fuel pump been replaced recently?

If a fuel pump isn't primed correctly, it can prematurely die. I know from experience.