Opinions on front axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fjr, you will need to switch transfer cases to the passenger side drop ones. It pretty easy if you get it out of the same truck you get the axle out of. Look in craigslist and find someone selling an old box body Chevy 1 ton or parting it out. Just get them both. The good part about this is you can get the NP 205 tcase which is what the one ton Chevy will have and that's the most heavy duty tcase around. J like the np241 myself, but if your saying the Chevy stuff is readily available to you it might be the way to go.

fjr1320

Reaction score
Well I'm lookin at 37's to start with but again that's just to start. Lol and if I go with the d60 and pass. Side drop from a box 1-ton, how would I go about making the floor shifter work or should I just bite the bullet and cut a hole in the pass side for the shifter?

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just cut a hole and cover the old one up. Its pretty easy. It only has to be a small elongated hole.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Just read through this and you are correct a 78-79 d60 goes for about $1,200-$1,500. I just picked mine up for $1,500 and I didn't do much to it before installing it. Just paint and some brake work and serviced the axle. Then did gears and a posi. Grand total is close to $2,800 and that was being cheap as possible.

With that said your choices are bite the bullet and grab a d60 driver drop and just do gears and when money permits throw in traction or get the Chevy 60 and find an older Chevy tcase off a 700r4

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
So if I went with a...

73-87? Chevy Dana60, it would be a passenger drop.. Swap to an np203/205/208 pass drop... new shift linkage for shifter.. or relocate to pass side, whatevers easier.

Now I'm not 100% sure, but, do they make different SAS Bracket kits for different solid axles?

silver98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if I went with a...

73-87? Chevy Dana60, it would be a passenger drop.. Swap to an np208/np241 pass drop... new shift linkage for shifter.. or relocate to pass side, whatevers easier.

Now I'm not 100% sure, but, do they make different SAS Bracket kits for different solid axles?

Fixed it. And, SEARCH!

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Fixed it. And, SEARCH!

I know how the search button works and I've used it many a time, lol. The reason I posted here is because I couldn't find the information I needed, AND because I like to get more than a single opinion about things. Especially when your on the internet... don't believe everthing you read..

They make/made a pass drop np241?
I've heard the 208s have weak cases. And can't you double up a 203/205? Thats why I was thinking about going that way..gear reduction ftw!

silver98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know how the search button works and I've used it many a time

They make/made a pass drop np241?

Perhaps your searches haven't brought you upon this quite popular topic. Yes, they did make passenger drop np241; some with cable speedometer and others with electronic speedometer (you make the choice on which to use). The np241 and np208 are about on the same level as duty level.