open headers vs straight pipes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It shouldn't throw a code if you where to do it after the rear 02' sensor, but if it is installed forward of the rear o2' it may throw a code and cause the engine to run rich.

I would strongly suggest NOT running open manifolds, it's unsafe because of the fumes and beyond obnoxious like said above! I had open long tube headers on my 87' Camaro for 2 days before I finished up the exhaust, and when you would start the engine you could literally feel it in the ground if you where standing beside it :rofl:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Are you canadian ? lol i say "eh" all the time, never use it online though :shrug:

And yeah, horns has a point, i never even thought of that... if your thinking of putting a cutout, then run some side pipes somewhere like infront of your rear wheels or something. That way there, its still safe, and you have it there if you want to show off or do the guy thing :evillol:

I'd just put the cut outs right before the exhaust behind the cab.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would definitely have them pointed down to were the exhaust would not build up

You've never had dumped exhaust have you? everything in the bed of my 04 still gets a faint exhaust smell and that pipe is aimed down and out. When its cold it looks like my truck is on fire because of the heat reacting with the cold and looks like smoke(cant think of what its called when that happens rite now).

*Edit*
Also open long tubes will not "hurt" the engine, the headers create a scavanging effect. Only thing I would worry about is what Horns said sitting idling you will probably have exhaust getting back into the intake air charge.
FWIW If it hurt the engine or robbed power noone would run that setup racing.

Personally I wouldnt run open headers by choice in a street car/truck because Im not a ****** bag.

Last edited:

Dylan97C1500

Reaction score
You've never had dumped exhaust have you? everything in the bed of my 04 still gets a faint exhaust smell and that pipe is aimed down and out. When its cold it looks like my truck is on fire because of the heat reacting with the cold and looks like smoke(cant think of what its called when that happens rite now).

*Edit*
Also open long tubes will not "hurt" the engine, the headers create a scavanging effect. Only thing I would worry about is what Horns said sitting idling you will probably have exhaust getting back into the intake air charge.
FWIW If it hurt the engine or robbed power noone would run that setup racing.

Personally I wouldnt run open headers by choice in a street car/truck because Im not a ****** bag.

A buddy of mine has a 10' camaro with electric cutouts right off the headers on it and he has never had a problem with exhaust fumes. also i wouldnt run them open when just idling.