open headers vs straight pipes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan97C1500

Reaction score
I was wondering if running open headers was actually any louder than straights in a general sense and not just inside the truck.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Its stupid loud, i drove my truck like that for a few days before getting my exhaust done after i lowered my truck... Not worth it. Put some pipes on it... id even put mufflers on atleast...

94blu1500

Rocky Hock Offroad
Reaction score
Its a hell of a lot louder than straight pipes even with no mufflers and i only drove mine half a mile.

Dylan97C1500

Reaction score
eh i took the mufflers off my truck and went out behind rear tires with 4x24in tips and it vastly improved my mileage (kept the cats). but i was thinking of putting cutouts behind the cats just for the fun of it when i want to be overly obnoxious. didnt know if it would throw codes when i opened them or if it would even be any louder.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like said above it can kill your motor and just piss people off. If you want loud but need mufflers for inspection get some high flow cats and some Pypes Violator mufflers or glass packs. I run the dual Violator 2.5" kit on my Nova with a low HP 305 and it is stupid loud. I've had the local police called 3 times for driving by, not acting stupid or loud music. Then again I don't have catalytic converters.

Dylan97C1500

Reaction score
im fine with the exhaust i have on it i just didnt know if putting the cut outs would cause the computer to throw codes or if it would be louder when i decide to open them up.(wouldnt be an all the time occurrence)

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Open headers are unsafe. You're putting all that heat into the engine bay and all those fumes into the cab.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
eh i took the mufflers off my truck and went out behind rear tires with 4x24in tips and it vastly improved my mileage (kept the cats). but i was thinking of putting cutouts behind the cats just for the fun of it when i want to be overly obnoxious. didnt know if it would throw codes when i opened them or if it would even be any louder.

Are you canadian ? lol i say "eh" all the time, never use it online though :shrug:

Open headers are unsafe. You're putting all that heat into the engine bay and all those fumes into the cab.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

And yeah, horns has a point, i never even thought of that... if your thinking of putting a cutout, then run some side pipes somewhere like infront of your rear wheels or something. That way there, its still safe, and you have it there if you want to show off or do the guy thing :evillol:

Dylan97C1500

Reaction score
Are you canadian ? lol i say "eh" all the time, never use it online though :shrug:

na lol im not canadian actually far from it. im in oklahoma.

And yeah, horns has a point, i never even thought of that... if your thinking of putting a cutout, then run some side pipes somewhere like infront of your rear wheels or something. That way there, its still safe, and you have it there if you want to show off or do the guy thing :evillol:

and ya i wouldnt leave them undirected i would definitely have them pointed down to were the exhaust would not build up.

i still havent gotten a straight answer to the code issue though. anyone have any ideas?