Oil pressure gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'll get the oil changed tomorrow and have the shop check out.

If it never drops below 20 psi at hot idle and rises with RPM to the 30 to 40 range ( at operating temperature) then it's perfectly normal, and actually what I would consider very good for a near 200,000 mile motor. I personally use Rotella T6, which is an HD 5W40 synthetic oil. I get 20 psi hot idle, 60+ cold idle, and 40+ above 1000 RPM at op temp. My motor has 267,000 on it and has only a slight lifter tap in the first few minutes of operation.

If you would like a shop to look it over for peace of mind, then definitely do so, but if it is in the ranges I mentioned you have nothing to fear.

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it never drops below 20 psi at hot idle and rises with RPM to the 30 to 40 range ( at operating temperature) then it's perfectly normal, and actually what I would consider very good for a near 200,000 mile motor. I personally use Rotella T6, which is an HD 5W40 synthetic oil. I get 20 psi hot idle, 60+ cold idle, and 40+ above 1000 RPM at op temp. My motor has 267,000 on it and has only a slight lifter tap in the first few minutes of operation.

If you would like a shop to look it over for peace of mind, then definitely do so, but if it is in the ranges I mentioned you have nothing to fear.
I think I'll get it checked out tonight. I'll let you know what they say

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

It's at 40 psi at cold idle (right when I start it up). Hot idle is at about 20 psi and it gets up to around 30psi when accelerating.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when you're cruising between 1500 and 2000 RPM the pressure is steady at 30 psi?

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a bit lower than I would like to see. Do you lose any oil between changes?

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have over 250k on mine, and the oil guage bounces around too, had the engine looked over nothing wrong its either a faulty oil pressure switch or an issue with my cluster, gonna replace the switch and send the cluster out to have the odometer corrected (swapped an Esky cluster in) and look it all over at the same time, its a pretty common issue

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Yea. Older motors just need thicker oil IMO. I use to run 5w30 Amsoil and it would bounce all over. Once I switched to 10w40 Amsoil it is more consistent. Stays around 65 when first started and then around 40 at idle

gnrl

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea. Older motors just need thicker oil IMO. I use to run 5w30 Amsoil and it would bounce all over. Once I switched to 10w40 Amsoil it is more consistent. Stays around 65 when first started and then around 40 at idle

yup I agree with that. I always thought 5w30 was too thin, even when the truck was new (didnt older SBCs take thicker oil?). However girl at my work has a prius that takes 0w20 so I guess if you want more power, you gotta go thin LOL