Oil leaking from valve cover center bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94K1500KBAR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since I have had the truck I have noticed that my valve covers are very dirty. so I took a wire brush and carb cleaner to the driver side one the other day just to see how they would clean up and noticed the next day that I am leaking oil from my valve cover right at the center bolts. Any ideas?

94K1500KBAR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
there are copper washers under the bolts that you can replace, or you could just use some rtv around them.

Im worried about taking the valve covers off. I have herd that if the truck hasnt been taken care of and it has a lot of carbon build up that when you take them off the build up can break lose cause your engine to lock up. true?

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if all that is leaking are the bolts, then just take all the bolts out and replace the copper seals and put them back in without pulling the valvecover off. Yes you could possibly break sludge loose if you messed around with them enough.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
Im worried about taking the valve covers off. I have herd that if the truck hasnt been taken care of and it has a lot of carbon build up that when you take them off the build up can break lose cause your engine to lock up. true?

not that i know of unless a piece of carbon falls in the oil gallery of the head and that could get under a valve and hold it open, then the piston hits it then you have problems......

94K1500KBAR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if all that is leaking are the bolts, then just take all the bolts out and replace the copper seals and put them back in without pulling the valvecover off. Yes you could possibly break sludge loose if you messed around with them enough.

oh ok. thanks

if you have that much sludge/carbon to begin with then you have bigger problems

agreed. but its my daily driver and i dont have the time or money to find out right now haha it gets from A-B. Thats what Im worried about right now

not that i know of unless a piece of carbon falls in the oil gallery of the head and that could get under a valve and hold it open, then the piston hits it then you have problems......

If it falls in the oil gallery and makes it back to the pan somhow then it vould clog my filter and stop flog of oil. Thats what Im worried about

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just pull the bolt's one at a time and replace the washer and the put it back and retighten and you won't disturb anything.

94K1500KBAR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I took some Meguiers Engine Cleaner to it today and let it sit while I drove the the car wash. Gave it a good spray down and it looks much better. I didnt have time to be real detailed so I will go over it again this weekend. As far as it looks its not leaking anymore. I will keep you guys posted