Oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got home and noticed smoke coming from under the hood of my 94 k1500 burban. I popped the hood and found oil on the top of the driver side valve cover, near the fill cap, the oil is dripping down and landing on the exhaust manifold. Has anyone seen issues with oil leaking from the cap? I made sure the cap was properly seated and closed, it was. I was initially thinking it was time to do the valve cover gaskets, but I don't see how oil could travel upwards onto the top of the valve cover if it was leaking from the bottom. Any thoughts? Thanks

Last edited:

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could a bad pcv valve cause enough pressure to build in the valbe cover that oil would come out of the cap?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yay, I answered my own question. Lol.
I bought two new ac delco valves, new grommets, and new pcv (oil rated) 11/32 hose and a new filler cap. I'll throw them on tomorrow and also check to make sure it's pulling vaccuum and test for leaks with starter fluid. Thanks!

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I didn't live in an inspection state, I'd just put a breather filter on, cap the lines, and call it a day.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I didn't live in an inspection state, I'd just put a breather filter on, cap the lines, and call it a day.[/QUOTe
I wish I didn't live in an inspection state, I'd just put a breather filter on, cap the lines, and call it a day.
Life was just to simple when the old cars had a blow by pipe run down the back of the engine !

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My family drag races, on our cars we run a hose from the valve cover to the collector pipe on the headers, just burn up the excess!

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking it has to be the pcv valve. The only other thing I can think of that would cause that much blow-by would be excessively worn rings, I've only got 120k miles, I'm the second owner and the original owner is a friend of mine, this truck has had a pretty easy life.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought this thing had two pcv valves, but it looks like the opening on the driver side is just a tube that feeds back into the tb. Can anyone with a 5.7l tbi confirm that this is how it is supposed to be?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought this thing had two pcv valves, but it looks like the opening on the driver side is just a tube that feeds back into the tb. Can anyone with a 5.7l tbi confirm that this is how it is supposed to be?
I'm an idiot, a quick google search answered my question.