Oil cooler lines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While I'm replacing the engine in the Suburban, I want to replace those old, leaky, rusted oil cooler lines. I can get Dorman stuff for $25 each, but I can get AC Delco for $59 each. Which would you guys go with? Do the Delco replacements out last the Dorman stuff?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Delco.

If I had my choice I'd use neither and get some braided lines made up at a local hydraulic or hose and fitting shop.

Cooler uses weird fittings, but most places can adapt that.

Or better yet, buy a new cooler and have them build up the lines to that.

Replacing the cooler with a new engine is a good idea anyways. All kinds of trash and nasty bits get trapped up in there and can come loose to contaminate your new engine. Even more important to change it out if your engine has been firing "metally bits" or has had a catastrophic failure...

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
AC Delco unless you want to get custom lines made, the Dorman ones suck like all there products lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok then! I'll get the Delco ones. I've considered have custom stuff made before but I think these will do for a woman's 180k mile DD.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've been considering Edelmann from Rockauto. They may come from the same factory in China as the Dormans, or maybe they come from the same factory as the AC Delco lines. I bought a Dorman a few years ago, and it's been leaking for awhile now. I don't know exactly how long it lasted, but it wasn't long.

I've never heard of anyone using them, so I thought it was worth a shot.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this for an actual "oil cooler " or for the oil lines that go into the rad? Im deleting my lines after talking to some GM tech's on my next oil change..... Not leaking but not doing me any good either.....

I don't need my oil heated, im in hell already...

SwatDawg15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this for an actual "oil cooler " or for the oil lines that go into the rad? Im deleting my lines after talking to some GM tech's on my next oil change..... Not leaking but not doing me any good either.....

I don't need my oil heated, im in hell already...

Mine are deleted on my 95 k1500 with the crate engine I dropped in to not long ago.. Would you mind expanding on the "heat" part? Ive often suspected it does more harm then good. I know an external cooler works well.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine are deleted on my 95 k1500 with the crate engine I dropped in to not long ago.. Would you mind expanding on the "heat" part? Ive often suspected it does more harm then good. I know an external cooler works well.

I was told that the so called cooler is not, its designed for cold weather vehicles that need to heat the oil......Its only a tank on the side of the rad, and gets heated by the hot water flowing thru the rad.... Also said that oil pressure will be better.........atleast on start up.

others might argue this , but don't matter to me... After talking to a shop full of GM techs im good..........

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
F*** Dorman with a rusty knife. Go with great white's advice.

Steve, I've never heard of engine oil going through the radiator tank, only trans fluid. If yours is set up that way and you live in a warm climate, I would bypass the radiator and just run an external cooler.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

Last edited: